tested for speech therapy

my dd is 9 months old at what age can i test her to see if she need speech therapy

keithamy06

Asked by keithamy06 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• she's little, my doc didnt start asking questions until he was 12 mths and didnt suggest it until he was 18mths. shes still little
    Anonymous

• Why do you want to get her tested? Did your Dr. say so?
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My best friend's son was a late talker and her pedi didn't recommend it until 18 mos old.
    HappyHomeMommy

Answer by HappyHomeMommy at 8:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Why would you even be worrying about it at 9 months? Most 9 months old are just learning their first words. Most doctors won't even consider it until the child is 18 months-2 years. My middle daughter had an obvious speech delay (didn't say her first word until 16 months, only knew 2 words at 18 months and maybe 12 when she turned 2) but her doctor waited until she was 3 to suggest speech therapy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I would wait till about three. My son has a speech delay and we had all those tests done at two, and it didn't do us any good. He was really to little for speech therapy. Kids develop at their own rate, don't jump to conclusions just yet.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Is your 9 month old also having feeding issues or other oral issues that concern you? Is your 9 month old also having other developmental difficulties, such as a delay in fine or gross motor skills or social/emotional skills?

If you answered yes to either or both of the above questions, contact your state's local Early Intervention (birth to age 3) office for a free screening of your child in your home by certified therapists. The number should be available at your pediatrician's office or by calling your local Department of Human Services.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I had my son tested just before he turned 2, because he still had zero words. Wasn't talking at all. He did about a year and a half of speech therapy, is about to turn 4, and is doing wonderful. He doesn't do the therapy anymore because he has progressed so much. Unless there are other issues that concern you, I would wait until 18 mo to 2 years before testing.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Some kids just need more time to develop their speech skills. I would wait and ask the pediatician next time you see him/her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Wow, 9 mos is very young to be worrying about speech therapy. Generally at their 2 yr visit they will ask you about speech and if they seem like they are behind they might have you take them in for an evaluation or recommend that you give it a bit more time. I told my ped that we were waiting until after 3 to give him more time, even though I knew he was a touch delayed. I feel I made the best decision for my child. He is now 3 1/2 and going 1 day a week to a speech pathologist. He loves that time with her. Stop worrying about this right now. Nine month olds dont usually talk at all.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 8:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• no i want to test my dd for stuttering
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2009