Question about Voodoo?? Kinda...

My mother has a friend from Haiti. She was kidnapped and smuggled in to the US as a small child and raised by the woman that brought her here. Today she is in her 40's. The woman that brought her here CLAIMS that she was the daughter of a Voodoo Priest and Priestess and that they were going to sacrifice her and her brother, so she kidnapped them to save their lives...

Now, the woman believes this and so does my mother. My mother makes a point to tell this story every chance she can because she disagrees with my religious path and the fact that I have (minimally) studied Voodoo/Hoodoo.

Now, she has started telling my DH who is already nervous about Pagan religions (always has been), how do I refute this story? Or at least educate myself as so that I can defend myself against these attacks??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• NOT trying to bash but you are definetly in the wrong path!
    Anonymous

• Education, education,education. For your DH get him around other Pagans and their families. Many Pagans have spouses or significant others that are not Pagans but they do respect their decision.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Anon, she didn't ask for more bashing.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• For some reason I believe there is some, some truth to that story. How do you debunk it!? Don't believe in it!!! Tell dh that you're mom believes it but you don't. You weren't there so you can't confirm or deny!!! Good luck.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Read the book Pagans & Christians: The Personal Spiritual Experience by Gus diZerega
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Comparing what happened to your moms friend and you being a pagan is comparing apples to oranges.
    Anonymous

• I would tell my mom that I find her saying that all people that are pagan are bad or that all people who practice voodoo are bad. There are bad christians who have hurt and killed in the name of god. Thats the way I would handle it. If they want to get nasty and testy then you can find a lot more expamples of people torturing and killing in the name of their so called peaceful religion.
    Anonymous

• voodoo is alive and rampant. dh is from haiti and his dad bought them to america to get away from that.
    Anonymous

• Ok weird! im off this one
    Anonymous

• OP here - My mother would never go for the "there are bad Christians" argument! She doesn't believe that Christians are right unless they are in her church. She believes that ALL other Christians are worse than Pagans in the eyes of God! I guess what I need is more information - accurate information - on Haitian Voodoo. Everything I have studied was US Voodoo and I know there is a big difference! Thanks to MOST of you!
    Anonymous