What the heck is up with Grandma??

A 98 year old woman was charged with the strangling death of her 100 yr old nursing home roomate, because she believed the woman was taking over the room.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/12/woman_98_charge.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I know, I read this. What the heck? My best guess is that she is suffering from some age related mental illness- dementia or depression. Who knows. What an odd, sad story!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My grandma suffers from Alzheimers. Most sufferers of Alzheimers get very aggressive. She had threatened many times to kill my grandfather, and came after my aunt last year thinking she was my grandfathers mistress (this gave everyone a good chuckle even though it was scary). She's very paranoid and thinks that everyone is plotting against her.
    JoMcD

Answer by JoMcD at 8:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I think the whole situation is sad all the way around.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• i was shocked to have read that. But i remember when my uncle was going through some treatments and he had to stay in the hospital...he complained alot about his roommates.. so much so he wanted to off a couple..... one because he didn't shut up.. and the other got too much company. people are weird . i can't believe that she had it in her at 98 to tie a bag to someone's head. crazy
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I wonder if she had alzheimers. My ex boyfriend from high school had a grandfather that had it. I remember when he went to CA to go see him right before he died and his grandfather attacked his own wife b/c he claimed she was stealing his money from under the bed. He had completely lost it and beat her up pretty badly. He died only a week later. They do get very aggressive in the later stages of alzheimers and they don't seem to be able to control the aggression. This is a sad story though.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Anonymous

• Hmmm it seems that everyone has already decided she did do it !!!!!! so assuming she is guilty, Old people tend to have a much lower tolerance level to irritation, and if the women was irritated to beyond her tolerance level, pehaps she snapped.

To me I'd like to ask the home a few questions about why they did not take the friction between the two more seriously. They should have been more aware of the fragility of old people and the menatal state of those who they care for. Was it one of those unpreventable things, or had they been ignoring a real problem. Its there job to look after the welfare of whom they take care of.

zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 2:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I bet she thought, "I am 98, what they heck are they going to do." She gets to get away with murder because her ages makes her "unstable". I think she probably is fine and committed murder because she wanted to.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Sad but yep my grandmother has dementia and some days she is just impossible..I dont see her going THIS far of course if she felt her life was in danger though who knows..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:15 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I do agree with zan though we dont get the full story im sure..my grandmother had one roomate who always got irritated withmy grandmother eventually they gave my grandmother her own room..problem solved.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:17 AM on Dec. 13, 2009