a question about kids sitting through church.............

How old should your child be before you begin teaching them to sit through church? I attend an Adventist church and they have what's called the "mother's room" for crying kids. My husband wants to take our son in there for entire service and let him play during the service and not expect him to start learning to sit at all. In his cradle roll class his teacher has taught him to sit and wait for his turn to do the activity they are working on for that day. He is 19 months. In my opinion if he can learn to sit nicely in his class he can learn to sit for at least part of the service.

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 8:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We had this same convo this morning! Ours isn't born yet. I say sit on the outer aisle with the baby and work on it. If it's too much, move out quietly to the mother's room. Maybe you can come back after a change or a snack? I think kids learn best by doing.

My dad said that most people who look at you when your kid is having a fit aren't staring you down and thinking "why can't that lady get her kids under control" He said they are looking at you and thinking, "My kid did that once. I should tell that mom she is doing a good job."

God loves crying babies too.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• my son is 2 and i still sit in the mommy room
    Anonymous

• we bring activities to church, such as story/picture books about bible stories, quiet books, pages to color, a couple of "toys" that are quiet (stuffed animal, or baby doll) and a couple snacks to keep my 2 1/2 yr old busy. hope this helps! but yeah, it's important to help them sit quietly, but age appropriate of course.
    Anonymous

• We don't do church. But when I was a child, we were to sit through service from the time we were 18 or 24 months. We had books and note pad so we could "read" to ourselves or color, but we had to sit quietly until the end... If we got REALLY bad my mother took us in the "mom room" but that was rare and dreaded!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• If he can learn to sit still in cradle class he can at church also.
    Anonymous

• With our kids we took them into the sanctuary from day 1. (The only other option is the nursery.) When they got old enough to make noise & whatnot, if they were getting too worked up to stay in church we brought them out to the nursery. Once they hit 3, they're officially too old for nursery, so if they can't sit through by then, you're pretty much screwed. My kids, from age 1 to about 2.5, were in the nursery about half the time. Sometimes they'd make it all the way through the service, sometimes they were in the nursery before the service started. We do occasionally have to take one out for a little talk, but for the most part, our youngest who will be 3 in March stays in the whole time.
    Anonymous

• There's nothing wrong with trying it at this age to see what happens...just slip out if the little one starts making too much of a racket.

I definitely agree with first anon that you can bring quiet activities and toys to help them get through it. I wouldn't expect much sitting still at this age, but certainly some good quiet play can happen.
    Anonymous

• My youngest daughter turned 2 in August. She doesn't like to go downstairs for childrens church so she sits upstairs with me. I think that it is very important to train children to sit in service, it's a great skill for them to know when it is appropriate to be noisey and when it is not. She is doing pretty good. I brink crayons and coloring book, quiet non messy snacks and a variety of quiet church toys for her to play with. At first her didn't last long and I'd end up taking her out of the room, but every week she lasts longer and longer. One thing that seems to help is that the toys I bring her for church she doesn't play with them anywhere else. They are her special church quiet toys. This way when sunday roles around she's not already bored with the same old toys, but looks forward to her special church toys. Her favorite is a little baggy full of medium sized legos. She sits next to me an builds stuff.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 11:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I don't believe in the nursery to play. It just teaches kids that they go to church to play. At least with my son. The more he plays, the worse it is. So we take stuff to church so he can stay with us.
    Anonymous

• I'm happy to see so many here taking their kids in to church. Our church does not do nurseries. Rarely one of them will have a 'cry room' but mostly, we use the crayons and board books and they learn to sit in church from the beginning. My husband's family all go to churches where they encourage families to send their kids out. I hate that.
    We go to a suburban location but one of our sister churches in town has a large area with no pews in back, where there are rocking chairs and benches. The young moms have room to spread out blankets for the infants but they only use it when the babies are too fussy.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 12:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2009