What are some ways to help a two year old who is scared of the dark?

My two year old daughter will only go to bed if her door is open and the hallway light is turned on. If the light is not turned on she screams until it is. She will also wake up in the middle of the night in a panic crying and yelling dark dark! We have put a nightlight in her room but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't know where this is coming from. We havn't expressed to her in anyway that the dark is scary or harmful, and were at a complet loss as what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• When our boys were that age I bought them both fisher price flash lights. One was a monkey and the other was a tiger, when they opened the mouth the little light came on and they made an animal sound, but it wasn't loud, or bright. Maybe give that a try.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• There is a turtle I bought for my son where its shell has stars and moons cut into it and they light up blue and green. He loves it. it keeps the whole room bright because they reflect off the wall.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing about the turtle! We have one and it works like a charm. You can get them at the Discovery Store. I bought mine at their online store.
    Anonymous

• We got an tiny little lamp in her room with a dark shade that's much brighter than a night light, but still pretty low key. We just leave that on for her.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• buy a lamp were the light is adjustable. slowly over a period of months dim it a little more and a little more at a time without telling her. Eventually she will get used ot just a soft glow.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Wow. Do this.
    Leave the light on.
    Phobias are phobias, you cannot explain or trick them away. She could have a vision problem that might come up later or another issue of some kind. Really, it isn't hurting you or her to give in to this request. It isn't unreasonable to leave a light on at that age. Dim of course.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:43 AM on Dec. 13, 2009