Breastfeeding (and pumping!) Question

My daughter Chloe is just shy of 5 months and up until about a month ago our breastfeeding adventure was going very well.

Suddenly she just stopped breastfeeding. I try at every feeding and she just outright refuses.

I think the problem has something to do with having to lay back for it but I'm really not sure.

So, I've been taking fenugreek to help keep what milk production I have left and pumping as much as I possibly can (not much---my pump is just a little manual one. We don't currently have enough to afford a better one.) and supplementing with formula (grrrrr.)

So, any ideas on why she isn't breastfeeding anymore? And what can I do to help? It wouldn't even hurt my feelings if I was able to feed her pumped milk all day---I just need a better pump.

Advice? Suggestions? A better pump you'd like to pass my way? Help!

madamekatekate

Asked by madamekatekate at 9:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok please fing a LLL meeting an your area call the leader ASAP and go to the next meeting
    stop supplementing just use Baby to breast why does she have to layback for this I'm confused how about sidelying on your bed or football hold?
    there just is NO substitute for baby to breast... and if she's hungry she'll nurse
    if you are determined to subst use sippy cup method NOT A BOTTLE (so pour 2 ounces of formula or breastmilk into a paper cup and hold her up and let her sip it)
    drink plenty of fluids and eat good foods
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• does she have teeth coming in? sometimes when babies start to teeth, they jus dont want to eat. if thats not the case i would definently go to a lactaion consultant
    inay522

Answer by inay522 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• It isn't about being "determined" to substitute, MELRN. Because I'm not. At all. And I never said there was anything better than breast milk.

Thanks, amileegirl.

She is teething for sure, inay522. I have a feeling this may have something to do with it and I've tried about everything I can think of to help (which is why I'm asking for others help now, lol). I've been searching for a good LC. I went to one with my older daughter and she wasn't helpful at all.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 10:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I thought I'd come back and offer some more help now that I have two hands free. If she's teething there are links on that article to "nursing strikes" and how to deal with them. Number 1 is to use a spoon, cup, or eyedropper instead of a bottle. Also to try when the baby is drowsy (either going to sleep or just wakingup) and/or not crazily famished. Also to pump a little to stimulate let down so there is instant gratification. You can also leave her on the breast as she falls alseep. My baby sucks while she sleeps if I let her -- it almost tickles so its not a very vigorous suck all the time.

If her gums are sore, have you tried (before she gets hungry) a cold teether first to take the edge off?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Oh! Honey, I have beeeeennnn there!

So, this is my experience. Me and my daughter have just been through this whole adventure too! We managed to get to 6 months and then she just wouldn't nurse. Here's some hints that helped me!

So, how does she behave when you nurse her? Does she start to suck and then get frustrated? If so, it could mean that she is distracted by her environment and nursing her in a dark room may help. Also your milk let down might not be quick enough for her ( I had a Miss Can't Wait, Won't Wait!) Try spreading some of your own milk across your breast and around her mouth to encourage her, or even pump a little before you put her on to encourage a quicker flow. Cont. below
    TopBrit

Answer by TopBrit at 10:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• .....OK, manual pumps are hard work, but you can also rent a good electric breast pump from your hospital or go to your local birth center, I even got mine from craigslist! Try to pump at the same time each day to maintain a good supply, your boobs work best on a schedule! Just try to tempt her to latch on each time, don't force her!!!! Nursing should never be stressful, so if she's upset, take a deep breath, calm her down and start again.

If she's not nursing flat out, teething could be the problem and she may have a case of the 'won't waits' or she's getting used to the bottle. I would speak to a lactation consultant. I pumped, gave my daughter a bit of a bottle just to curb her anxiety and frustration (maybe an ounce) and then I'd take the bottle away, spread some milk on myself and offer her the breast. Little by little she learned to trust it again and she latched back on after about a week. GOOD LUCK OK!
    TopBrit

Answer by TopBrit at 10:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I know this may sound crazy, but we use a little cholroseptic on the gums when my LO is teething. If you numb her gums a little she may nurse.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Do you qualify for WIC? WIC will give you a good pump. Also, call your health insurance. They cover all or most of the cost of one sometimes. Also, call your local hospital. They often have them there to rent out for low cost (they're totally sterilized and have the parts changed so its totally safe)...
    I dont have a whole lot of info besides that, because I never had this problem...
    But good luck mama and keep the faith!! Keep trying!!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• u could be really low on milk when she tries to nurse if u pump all the time try pumping (when she not hungery) and wait a few minutes and see how much comes out when i was breast feeding my milk dried up so urs could be too
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 1:52 AM on Dec. 13, 2009