would you be upset if your mil favors her daughters kids over her sons(and yours)

the only time she sees them is if we just drop by and had asked if she could watch the kids for a few hours so we could shampoo our carpets, she says yes at first then backs out last minute, but always has my sis in laws kids over all the time. always goin over to see them. my kids are lucky to see my mil once every 2 months and she lives not even 10 blocks away....she always watches the other kids for whatever reason...my SIL wants to sleep or she gets tired of the kids...the only time we ask her to watch them is if he have some big project to do, like the shampooing....im sure some people dont see that is important but for us it is we have inspections from our landlord and she is really picky. is it so bad to ask her to watch the kids for a few hours once every 6 months so we can get some major cleaning done, not talkin about everyday stuff more like spring or fall cleaning....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I think this is more common than you think. i am not personally in this situation, but there are moms that favor their daughters over their sons and therefore favor their daughter's children over their son's children. I know a woman who is like that. It's not fair really, but there is not much you can do about it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• yes my mil is exactly like that. i have pretty much written her off because of it and several other issues she has. i don't want my kids exposed to that type of affection (lack there of really) and i got tired quick of wasting so much energy on it. my kids get enough love from the grandma that truly cares for them (my mom)-and the rest of the family that treats them equally.
    Anonymous

• You can't change her so ask someone else to watch the child or put the child in drop in day care for a few hours. Just accept the way she is and don't depend on her. Where is YOUR mom/family in the deal? Why won't she watch the child?
    Anonymous

• I don't have this problem with MIL, but she has only seen my LO 6 times in 17 mos and we live in the same town. I do have this problem with my mom. She will drop whatever she is doing to watch my sis's child but not mine. I asked her 4 mos ago to take my LO every Wed for 2-4 hours and she agreed. This was so that I could study and do homework for school. My sis who moved away moved back 4 weeks ago and my mom has bailed for 4 weeks b/c she is watching my niece and not my LO. So hurt over this. If she doesn't want to watch my LO then all she has to do is say something. Sorry for venting.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My MIL favors my hubby's brothers kid over mine. It was so bad my kids started noticing so, I moved closer to my family 800 miles away from MIL. We are much happier and my kids have family around that care about them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2009