Yule Log?

Now, I know without doubt that the Yule Log is and always was a Pagan tradition... So, why is it that so many Christians burn one? And WHY the hell is there a Yule Log on DVD for those without a fireplace - are you kidding???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christians burn one because it has become a part of their traditions too. Just like the Christmas tree, wreaths, and even at least part of Santa is Pagan. Same with Easter and all the other holidays. Many people feel like these are things their family or religion or whatever has been doing for such a long time, so even if they know the origin they still celebrate it.

idk about the yule log on DVD. lmao
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My family heritage is Scottish so the yule log came along with the family history. Spiritually some of us evolved to Christianity. I don't see a problem with it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• The same reason a Christian would put up a Christmas tree. I like it. It is part of the tradition that I choose to participate in with my family this time of year. I'm not offended by someone who isn't Christian wearing a cross or having one in their home for decoration purposes why should anyone care if I want to put a tree up, burn a yule log or watch one on tv?
    Anonymous

• Damn Xtians need to quit stealing pagan traditions. Hopefully any other christian doesnt try to adopt any more pagan traditions and say "we found it first neener neener"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• What exactly is a Yule log? Is it different then any other fire in the fireplace? I only ask because this is something we've never done?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Because some traditions become simple family traditions, something you do every year because your family has always done it. It seems that some people who converted to Christianity way back in the day didn't throw out the Yule log as the devil's work & just continued to use it as part of their winter holiday, which simply had a new focus for them with the birth of Jesus. Their descendents kept doing it because it was tradition & made them feel connected to family. No Christian is doing it now as a ritual to another god (or anything else) so why should they give it up because of it's past uses? What matters now is what it represents now to the people using it.
    A Yule log is usually decorated (how it is decorated varies) & sometimes something special is done with the ashes or the burnt stump is saved to light next years Yule log.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• For some people, the words Yule and Christmas are interchangable. Other people really don't care where the tradition comes from. If it's something their family has done for generations, they just keep doing it too without knowing why. (Not saying that's good or bad, btw. Just stating fact. Sometimes the why's just aren't important.)

The Yule log on DVD is a sign of our boob tube obsessed society IMO. There's a Yule log DVD for the same reason that there are DVDs for infants and pets. And for the same reason we have televisions at gas stations, in restrooms, at restaurants, and in grocey isles. We have to have that tv on at *all* times...even if what's on is completely useless. lol
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• When pagans voluntarily converted to Christianity they kept some of their traditions and applied different meanings to the tradition. The same thing is happening today, many non-christians celebrate christmas (the celebration of Christs birth) in a purely secular form. People don't like to give up the things that comfort them so they recycle, I think it is a very green thing to do.

I know people who aren't Mexican but always have a pinata at birthday parties. I'm sure we can all think of some cross-over traditions, there is nothing wrong with it. For most people a yule log is just a fire in your fireplace on christmas and has no other significance. Personally, I eat mine.

Prickly Pear

Anonymous