How many days do you wait before taking your 15-month-old child, who has a cold, to the doctors??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• on day 4 if they still have a fever I go to the doctors....
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• It depends on how the symptoms react to what I am doing to treat them. If I saw no improvement I'd take my kid in the next day.
    Anonymous

• my def of fever--rectal temp more then 100.4
    MELRN

• I wouldn't take him at all unless it was something that could be serious; such as very high persistent fever, chest congestion and cough, earache, very sore throat with fever...
    Most of the time the doctor won't do anything but say give tylenol/motrin and fluids, so I'd just be bringing them into the cold air around other sick people for nothing. I'd rather take care of him at home until I felt that it was something that could be bad and that needed and antibiotic.
    Anonymous

• For a basic cold, never.
    Anonymous

• I try to avoid taking a sick kid to a germy office. I would only do so if I suspected a bacterial infection, like strep throat; definitely not with a virus.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Not usually. With our last cold she wheezed so we went in. I have asthma and got concerned.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't. A doc can't do anything for a cold. Treat it at home, treat the symptoms, let the fever do its job, just keep hydrated. Why risk contracting a secondary infection on top of a cold when your childs immune system is already taxed and compromised?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Generally I don't take them unless a fever has persisted over 3 days or there are signs of a major asthma flair brewing, or if I suspect an ear infection but that generally doesn't set in until like a week or so after the onset of a cold.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:16 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't take him for a cold unless he was having difficulty breathing or something was telling me something more was going on...
    And I agree with daughteroftruth 100%... there is nothing that can be done for a cold, there are no medications to make it better... so there is no reason to expose my son to all of the extra germs when his immune system has already taken a hit
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2009