Is sleeping through the night even possible?

BFF has the most beautiful and wide awake 19 month old boy ever. He will go to sleep, usually, but doesn't stay asleep for more than 2 hours. He will stay quiet if she puts him in bed with her. But he is awake most of the night.

We have tried herbals, but he won't take it. He shoves his hands down his throat and barfs. This is his new "thing" to get a rise out of mommy.

She's tried to let him cry it out. He can go non-stop for 2 hours. She gives up at 2 hours.

She has tried making him really tired. He rarely takes naps. She has tried keeping him up longer. Play groups. Walks in the park. Every exhausting thing she can think of.

I'm starting to think it's just a personality thing as he is hilariously rotten. However, she's TIRED. Any tips?

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 9:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My now 2 year old was like this as an infant..never slept...who knows how he mainted staying awake this long??? Now he sleeps all night and naps in the afternoon..It took forever though to get to this point.
    feloniousbelle

Answer by feloniousbelle at 9:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Has she tried "The No Cry Sleep Solution"? I haven't read the toddler one, I read the first one when my son was an infant. It might be some help.
    All I can do with my son is nurse him when he wakes up, but after the first one, he refuses to go back in his crib and ends up in our bed. His doctor isn't thrilled he's still nursing at night, but it seems to be all we're able to do.
    I can only imagine her frustration. I hope the book helps, at least!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My questions are... what is his current bedtime routine and when she did CIO did she have a method or did she just "make it up"
    I found that if you have a good routine and you know how to do CIO the right way your baby will sleep!
    We battled with sleep for months... when my son was 6 months he was up hourly! At 11 months he was still up 4-5 times/night so we got the book "Solve your child's sleep problems" by Ferber.... it was GREAT. And within 3 nights he was going to sleep on his own and sleeping most of the night... after a couple more weeks he was sleeping through the night. He only ever cried 3 nights and for a TOTAL of 8 minutes.
    It also talks about what to do if your child makes themselves vomit... so she could read about that too!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I'm solidly in the anti-CIO camp. It never worked for my son, ever! He'd throw himself against furniture, pound his head on things, etc. What child would ever sleep after that??? (I've read that Ferber later decided he was wrong... No idea if that's true..) I've ready both of the No Cry Sleep Solutions (author is Elizabeth Pantley) and found them to be very helpful. Lots of different ideas to try. She also has a web site you might want to check out. One possibility is that the child is actually overtired and unable to settle. That then becomes a vicious cycle. I recommended the Pantley book to a friend who's daughter also never slept through the night. She found it helpful. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Usually kids who have trouble getting good quality sleep are over-tired, not not tired enough... in other words, skipping the naps and trying to exhaust him is probably having the exact opposite of the desired effect. I would put the child down for at least one nap in the day (some 19 month olds do well with two, though my daughters were both down to one by that age)... at least one after lunch. Keep the ritual for going to sleep consistent for bed and bath time... including calming, soothing things, not things like running around hoping to get him to pass out from exhaustion.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2009