How late in your pregnancy did u 1st see a doctor?

I am 12 weeks and haven't been and don't know when I'll go. My plan when I found out 8 weeks ago was that I would wait out my 1st trimester then go at the beginning of my 2nd. This will be my 4th kid with the youngest being 10 months and I had a yearly pap a couple months before getting pregnant so I didn't want to be bother with the 1st trimester appointments and little at that tiny bean on u/s. I'm over it at this point. So I called my doc's office when I was 10 weeks and I was reminded how rude the receptionist is when she put me on hold for a long time and then told me that she would call me back to set up the appointment. She has yet to call. So I was thinking of just waiting out even longer. Yes I want to make sure everything is okay, but I really don't want to deal with the skcimatics of doctor visits right now. How long have you gone without seeing a doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With my first I was in at 6 weeks. With my 2nd it was like 8 weeks and then I only went every other appt (they were 3 weeks apart so I was really going every 6 weeks until the last couple of months). With my 3rd I went at around 8 weeks, too.
    With my 4th I didn't see a doctor for the 1st time until I was like 16 weeks. I was super depressed and had just moved to town and I hate doctors.
    #5...I was going to wait until around 12 weeks. Unfortunately I miscarried at 12 weeks. My first appt was going in to be checked to see if I was actually miscarrying. Fun times.
    This time I'm about 8 weeks right now and haven't been in yet. When I was pregnant with my middle 2 there were a lot of women on the boards whose doctor's wouldn't even schedule their first appointments until they were at least 12 weeks along.
    I'm not in any hurry to go. I hated all the appts with the other kids. They were such a waste of my time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I called as soon as I found out (next time the office was open, anyways) But I will say that if you don't like that particular doctor's office then don't go there call a different one, if I were you I wouldn't wait any longer, but that just me.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• i wouldnt wait. God forbid something is wrong with the baby, there are things that can be done to help the baby in utero if needed that can be too late when she comes out.
    Anonymous

• I would go pretty quickly. Some states have laws if you do not see some kinds of medical staff X amount of times that you can be charged in a court of law if something ends up being wrong with the baby. It is considered neglect.
    Anonymous

• I just had my first official appointment at 13 weeks.

They scheduled me for 13 weeks, because like you this isn't my first kid, and I'm going through the same doctor - so no big drama on how to handle the first trimester.

But yeah, just call them back or walk in and make the appointment: receptionists can forget things, and you don't need to be irritated by waiting for a phone call.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I went later for both of mine but can't remember when. have you thought about looking in to going to a birthing center this time? using a midwife? I did that with both of mine and LOVED it..since it doesnt sound like u like the DR?? just a thought

Anonymous

• With my first I was like 13 weeks. Thats cause I didnt have insurance til then, but it was no big deal.
    This time, it was very very early, but that's because I had issues and they thought it may be ectopic (it wasnt thank God). I wouldnt rush if I were you. What are they going to do anyway? Nothing you cant do yourself. And I second the anon above about perhaps going to a midwife. They are so much more relaxed in my experience. I LOATHED and DREADED going to the OB but I actually look forward to appointments with my MW.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• OP

Thanks for everyone's point of view. I mostly agree with not worrying too much about what I've missed but try to get in in the coming weeks. The midwife idea is cool also, something I'll look into. Thanks justanotherjen for typing the details of all 5 of your pregnancies...I appreciate you (and everyone else) taking the time to answer my question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2009