• In the Spotlight:

Not trying to bash ...i just don't understand

It's that time of year again. Christians (not all) complaining about PC terminology among other things. But one thing i really don't understand is how any Christian could claim that the "Christmas Tree" truly "belongs" to Christianity. Don't they ever wonder how a tree has anything to do with Christ. Or wreaths too, for that matter. And other common Christmas traditions.

I'm not at all trying to suggest that all Christians should stop celebrating. It HAS become a Christian tradition. I just have a hard time tolerating the whole "Christians are the only one who celebrate this time of year with a tree" attitude.
Christians, put up your Christmas tree and Pagans will put up their Yule tree and others can put up their Holiday tree and all together we can celebrate a Happy Holiday. But PLEASE read the history on WHY you even HAVE a tree before you claim something that is not true.

-Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• wouldn't it be wonderful if we all just let each other celebrate however it makes us all happy...and NOT give each other a hard time over what someone refers to the holiday or tree as? PEACE ON EARTH -good will toward men and all that happy warm fuzzy stuff? I know- [robably too much to ask.
    I call the tree just that -the tree!
    I call the holiday Christmas-and no, it is not about Jesus for us- I call it that because I grew up in a Christian home and it is more habit than anything. I am not Pagan...but I will defend them because in my experience a lot of Christians just do what the church says and believe what they are told/taught without ever actually finding anything out for themselves, and they seem to get really annoyed when they are told something they don't want to hear (most of my family is this way) that does not go for ALL of them but it does for many of them.
    ANYHOW...
    I hope we all have a great holiday :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Not everyone is aware that is a shared symbol.

I get annoyed when any group tries to say "it's just ours," or "yours doesn't count because we had it first."

Like you, I say, lets enjoy our celebrations, and rejoice in the nice (and sometimes rare) things we share in common.
    Anonymous

• im a Christian, and ive personally never had, or known anyone who did have, that opinion. but im sure you will find all kind of people on CM. the thing is...anyone can claim to be one thing or the other. doesnt mean that they are, or that their opinion is the majority. it seems the ones who are most radical (on any opinion) are the loudest. it doesnt effect my feelings on Christmas if someone puts up another "kind" of tree. only if someone else tries to take my Christmas tree away. so its all good...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 11:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• what I get peeved about is all the complaining from pagans about how we STOLE that symbol. Don't they realized there is no copy right on a tree?

As for what it has to do with Christ? The symbol is in the symbol maker. A symbol is brings about a dimension in the person who makes the symbol. The symbols used by Christians has a different meaning and dimension than the symbol used by pagans.
    Anonymous

• Personally, I'm a Christian and I couldn't care less about the Christmas tree. I don't know anybody who doesn't know that its a shared symbol. I'm just really sick and tired of the whole PC thing. Its just Christmas for crying out loud. Its been Christmas for years now. Who cares? Put up your nativity scene, write the letter to Santa and go buy your kids some presents and hush up already.
    Not you in particular, just everyone.
    Anonymous

• what? that doesnt even matter. Christ and paganism have nothing to do with eachother.
    Anonymous

• i have never heard a Christian say the an evergreen is just for them. I would say a Christmas tree is for Christians that celebrate Christmas, a Yule tree for those that celebrate Yule. I never heard a Christian complain about an evergreen being used by another religion for their celebration. Where have you heard this and in what context? Did someone ask you to take down your Yule tree?

And I agree with PP that it is more the Pagans that step up and say "we thought of it first". Well, yeah, no one said you didn't.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• i have never heard a Christian say the an evergreen is just for them.

Scroll down about 8 questions, then. Or just do a search for "Christmas Tree" and another for "holiday tree" - the whining has been going on since last month due to some bogus chain email about Obama changing the "name" of the White House Tree
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I am a Christian, and I find alot of fault with Christmas. I do celebrate it, put up a tree, go to christmas eve service, and participate in many christian traditions. But I don't claim anything Christmas to be "just a Christian thing". First of all Christmas wasn't christian to beging with, it is a pagan holiday doctored up by the 18th century catholic church to redirect focus from pagan and druid celebrations to Jesus Christ. Its common knowledge that Jesus wasn't even born this time of year. That being said. I just celebrate Christmas because it's fun, and merry, and I like the giving spirit it lends to. I love the nativity and the baby Jesus, and I honor that, but I don't ever for a moment say "Chritmas is all about Christ and Christian beliefs" because if we are honest and look at the history, it wasn't until the 18th century. So I say celebrate the love of Christmas, the giving, and your belief of the season.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 11:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I'm a Christian and do not think of the Christmas tree, wreath, snowmen, Santa, reindeer, or any other "traditional" Christmas decoration has anything at all to do with the true Christian Christmas. A Christian Christmas is better represented by a nativity scene than it is a Christmas tree. I am aware that the Christmas tree has pegan routes, but most Christians still put them up at this time of year for fun (my family does). In my home we blend the commercial Christmas decor (Santa, trees, etc) with the religious stories and images of Christmas.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2009