Can you tell me your views on sex-ed? Especially if you have a teen that's taken it in school.

I'm writing a paper and can't seem to get into it. So, how do you think it can be improved? Or how did they do it in your teens school?Did it help you understand sex better?

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am not quite sure what you are looking for. I am all for sex education in schools but it does not replace parents' resposibilities to educate and inform their children about sex and work alongside the education they receive in the classroom.
    Often the biggest problem is the misinformation they get from other children, the media and the net.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My son had sex ed last year. Honestly, I don't think they covered all that needs to be covered. He was in 8th grade, and by that age sadly, many kids are already having sexual relationships.
    I believe they should cover the sexual diseases and show them what they look like and what they can do to the body. Although my sons class did touch on some of this, I think there could have been more covered.
    I will say that oral sex is something that needs to be talked about much more. This past summer I found out my son did not think oral sex was a form of sex. I couldn't believe it! We talked about it and he then told me that none of his friends thought it was a form of sex either. I had to explain to him that you can in fact get herpes from oral sex. Not a talk I wanted to have with him but a talk that I HAD to have with him.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My son had sex ed in 5th grade, they seperated the boys and the girls and showed them what he calls,"The Movie". I guess it helped somewhat, but like op said. I am not sure what your asking? Can you be more specific?
    tree1997

Answer by tree1997 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I've written papers on this, I think it should be more comprehensive and begin earlier. LIke in elementary school just like a hey this is your body, other people shouldn't touch it. then in middle school do the so you're going through some changes, and unfortunatly with the rising number of younger teens having sex i would recomend discussing safe sex and the consequences of sex, and definatly do the thing where they take home the doll. In highschool again discuss safe sex (oral and anal as well as vaginal, and all other sexual things) but also go really in depth in the emotional and psychological side effects as well as well as the challenges of raising a child and dealing with an std. I think an undercurrent of abstinance without using scare tactics is good to aim for.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I went to Catholic schools and we did sex ed in 5th and 9th grades. In 5th grade it was more health oriented (you know about puberty and the like). The only thing I would have changed was having separate classes for boys and girls for part of it. They asked if anyone had questions but it was too embarrassing to ask with the boys sitting right there. In 9th grade it was much more comprehensive. There were detailed anatomically correct drawings, descriptions and pictures of STDs. There was also the religious bent about saving ourselves but they talked about birth control, etc. I thought it was a good program. I learned a lot from it. I was not the kind of kid that would have talked to my mom about any of it so I relied on the school and books.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:00 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I think that abstience only education is HORRIBLE and should not be taught at all. When I was in middle school (2000) my school only taught absitence and the class was pointless. The teacher flat out gave us a list of things she was not allowed to talk about. we spent the entire semester looking at pictures of STDs. CHildren and teens need actual information about sex and hteir bodies, not to just be scared. I also think it falls largely on the parents... My mom was a teenage mother and she made sure to tell us EVERYTHING about sex, like parents need to.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• There should definitely be more sex education in schools. Not only covering the mechanical issues but the emotional issues as well. Talk the kids like they're adults, they already think they are and will respond better. Sex is not just worrying about stds and pregnancy if teen girls knew that their boyfriends thought that being together forever ends a year from now(at best) i doubt they would be so willing to slip out of their panties.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• It should start earlier, with proper names for body parts and their functions, good touch / bad touch, etc. Things parents should do, but many don't.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2009