i need to find out what happened to my dd today!!! please help!!

My dd slept well last nite as usual and usually wakes up @ around 7 am. She woke up @ 10:40 am!!! That's extremely late. We noticed she was extremely lethargic. She wouldn't talk to us, play, sit, stand or anything. Oh BTW she's 13mths old. We tried to interact w/ her she wouldn't even move really. as a matter of fact we tried to sit her up ourselves and she just fell on her back. She layed in the same spot for 10 minute straight while we tried to get her to move or do something. She even fell flat on her face and stayed like that until we moved her to her back. Called doc, she told me to feed her first because maybe its low blood sugar. She eventually hrs later she started to be her normal happy self. What happened? Why did this happen?? I'm upset that I didn't take her to ER immediately instead of listening to her doc. Please no bashing!! I just need to know what's wrong??!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP here-BTW I'm taking her first thing in the morning to take blood test and exam. I did take her to urgent care today but its was after she started to be normal.so they couldn't give me any explanation because she was normal. Other than a little sore throat. I'm worried about my baby!! What's wrong with her??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I would take her in for a follow up visit. And as for low blood sugar, that simply is not an acceptable reason. Yes, she appears to have experienced it, but WHY. When was the last time she ate? What did she eat?
    Look into gettting junk out of her diet. Sugarbusters diet or something similar. Take her for a follow up, if she is like that again, DO TAKE HER IN.
    Before bed give her a couple grahm crackers with peanut butter and some milk. That way she gets protein and carbs to balance it.
    Good luck and please post a follow up.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Just to let you know, her blood work may be fine. Insist on an A1C test for her. It will show her blood sugar levels for the last six weeks. Then if anything weird shows up, INSIST UPON A PEDIATRIC ENDOCRINOLOGIST. PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS. They know MUCH more then a regular ped or fam practice doctor on how to treat this.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• They think it might be that she had a seizure and had a paralyzing episode afterward. Which can be possible because epiepsy runs in my family. But for now that's just a guess. I hope they wrong. I'm so scared for my dd. I can't help but feel like a horrible mom for not taking her in right away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• its good that you are taking her for tests, hopefully they will find nothing wrong. maybe she had a bad dream that just scared her stiff. it sounds crazy but babies do dream and at that age they can't communicate. This happened to my friend once, although she was an adult, but she went out with her fam and came home and just froze. she wouldn't talk or blink or do anything...she could barely walk and only with help, me and her sister took her to the ER and they kept insisting it was drugs but it wasn't, they never were able to figure out what happened and, knock on wood, it hasn't happened again. PLease post a follow up and i'll pray for her!
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 2:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• i just noticed your last post....you are not a bad mom, i got the impression that the dr told you not to worry so you were only doing what your dr (who i'm assuming you trust) advised. Something that a lot of moms would have done. The important thing is that you're doing what to can to figure it out and prevent/treat it from happeneing again. Don't be too hard on yourself!
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 2:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• dont beat yourself up.....

you did what any concerned mother would do, you called the doctor to see what you should do then you did what the doctor advised you to do......

not to scare you but...my neice has had seizures like that in the past that sound alot like what happened to you little one, she didnt have the type of seizure everyone thinks of when they think of a seizure, she didnt shake or anything like that, she would just stare. with a blank look on her face, it was actually really scary because she didnt move or talk or anything...im not saying thats what happened to your babe its just my experience...

just please dont beat yourself up.....
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• A seizure does sound plausible. You are so not a bad mom. A bad mom would say, "I guess that is over..." Good luck and PLEASE let us know. Sometimes your story will help others.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:27 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Shame on her doctor!! He/She should have at least seen her. I have been a pediatric nurse for 20 years, this does not sound a simple low blood sugar. If it were her blood sugar, it should take hours to come up. She needs to be evaluated by her pediatrician. Don't take no for an answer.
    nurseratchet67

Answer by nurseratchet67 at 3:41 AM on Dec. 13, 2009