What things did you do before your SO/DH went overseas? Did you forget anything?

DH is a contractor going to Iraq for his company for a year. Besides HIS list of packing, last minute detail, etc. I have a list of things I need to do before he goes. Power of attorney will be completed Monday, but I mean besides that. For instance, we've only used our fireplace once. I want to make sure I do so safely, so I'm asking him to instruct me, basically. LOL. I also want to make sure I don't forget something minor that causes something major! Like checking the oil, and fluids in a car. Let me know something you may have forgotten that you wished you'd taken care of, or something that I may not have thought about, please! Thank you in advance!

Katlyne120806

Asked by Katlyne120806 at 2:16 AM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Been there! Sounds like you have the basics covered. if you want anything big moved(like furnature) have him do it befor he leaves.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:35 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I know I'm going to need a step ladder....I'm only 5'3 and I can't reach anything in the closet or top shelves in kitchen. LOL. I think I want to keep a few hand tools (screwdrivers, hammer) in the house so I don't have to go into the shop and find them.
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 3:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Yes have a box or container of odds and ends like screws and hammer screw drivers. I like to know exactly where they are. Step ladder is always good to have on hand. Extra light bulbs so you dont have to wait and buy them.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Besides things like power of attorney my dh just said " I'm sure you can deal with anything else" he knows I have grown son's and other family members that would help. Pretty much I do all the things like fixing things around the house the basic's of keeping up the vehicles and things like that anyway. It is just not his thing to do those things and he feels confident I can handle them anyways. Would be nice if he would do some of those things but I guess he just has confidence in me. And I noticed one lady said get a step ladder, I can understand that and am thankful alot of times that I can still climb well at my age
    Anonymous

• I guess you could say I am very dependent on my DH. My Dad lives in town with no phone, though, so I can't ask him for help. DH's family lives here near by, but MIL and BIL only ever call when they want something. I wasn't going to count on the in laws for much of anything. Thankfully, my cousin & her DH *who is also a good friend of my DH* came by today. DH said he offered to help me with anything "manly" that may come up. LOL. I know he is sincere. I feel better knowing that there is someone that I can call if I need to. And lucky for me, he's a fireman! LOL!
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 2:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009