How do you get kids to stop fighting? I have a 10yr old boy who's been the man of the house for a while and a 5yr old girl who thinks she's a queen. Lately,ALl they do from dusk til dawn is fight. I,ve tried talking,yelling,threatening and begging. It literally gives me chest pains. I'm going to sell them to the gypsys. HELP.

I know that we have gone thru an unbelievable amount of stress and change and several moves in the last yr,not to mention a seperation but holy mother of god...I can't stand waking up to fighting every morning. Its mostly power struggle fights.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sorry you're going through this.. Do they have seperate rooms? Are a single mom? Why do you keep moving?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Totally normal phase of childhood, you need to set more rules and bear with it, this too shall pass! hang in there mom!!!!!

Answer by older at 8:27 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Take them outside and tell them to go at it. No touching but they can yell all they want. (they can fight but you choose the rules and the location) You will be inside. (watching from a window to step in if needed but that's not likely) Once they have permission to fight they loose all interest in doing so. Then it becomes 'you start it' 'no, you start it' 'this is stupid I'm going inside' If they do choose to fight let them go at it but anything that is missed is not saved for them when they get back. (i.e. if lunch comes and goes or finishes then they miss lunch since they chose to fight instead) This works great with my 5 and 2 year old believe it or not and my friends 5 and 8 year old. They don't know what to do when they are told to fight. It sounds like you are teaching them to fight yes but what you are teaching is that fighting is pointless and can make them miss more fun things. There are better things to do.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:34 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Get a water bottle that shoots a stream. When they start fighting, spray them in the face. Do it every time. Eventually they will stop as soon as they see you pick it up. I have 3 kids that did the same thing. It diffuses the situation & turns it into fun.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• the children need different interest, have you considered the boyscouts????
    I'm married to an Eagle Scout...he loved scouting growing up, its great for boys and it teaches moral and social values.....and it is usually run by a daddy although there are plenty of den moms...but if he is missing a male influence it might help.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2009