Do you "candy-coat" things or are you honest and realistic?

I try to tell the truth, even if it's harsh. It's much harder to do with people you know.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:21 AM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am brutally honest! I feel that if you don't want to know the truth, then don't ask!!! I live by this saying: I will hurt you with the truth before I'd kill you with a lie! I can't stand lies or liars alike. Besides if we lie to others then we're lying to ourselves!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I am honest, but I will not say anything to the point of being mean. I don't sugarcoat, but if it is going to come out as mean then I will say as little as possible or nothing at all.
    With my family, it is easier to be honest and open - say exactly what I'm thinking - because they need to learn the truth of things before they go out into the world.
    I would never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:41 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I try my best to be honest BUT I do think that some things should be judged by a case by case basis. If someone asks me a direct question, I will be honest, but I might try to soften the blow, so to speak. If someone asks me how they look in something I'm not going to tell them they look terrible in it, but I might say that I prefer something else on them or that the other outfit looks better. Or I might just not say anything at all. Example: My MIL just dyed her hair. It looks great! I told her so, but I didn't include in my compliment how much I dislike her other color in comparison to the new one. She also just got her haircut (same style, same way she always gets it cut). It's not cute so I really just don't say anything at all.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• It depends on the situation and the person that I am dealing with.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I think it depends on the person you are talking to. I always tell them the truth but with some people you can be point blank and blunt and with others you kind of need to offer suggestions as to what the truth is and allow them to come to it on their own.
    spase2breeth

Answer by spase2breeth at 10:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• More often than not people just shut down and are no longer receptive if you are brutally honest. They just think you are a bitch. There is a fine art to presenting the truth to someone in a way that will truly penetrate their heart and mind.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God. Some people don't like it, but most people expect it from me by now.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I'm unapologetic. I hear a lot of women say "I'm sorry but..." and think they are being honest. I'm not sorry. Why should I be sorry that I have to tell you that you screwed up? And I never use "if, then" phrases like "If you could be a little quieter, then the baby could sleep through her nap better." I just stick to the facts. "The baby is sleeping. It's quiet time."
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:49 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Honest and realistic!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I'm honest, and I think that's why people in my family will call me with their problems. I tell it like it is...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2009