What to I do to keep her from scratching? (chickenpox)

She's 4 and she keeps scratching..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• giver her gloves and an ice cube tell her to rub the ice over what itches. This works for my daughters eczema, never dealt with chickenpox, but I would think it would alleviate that itching too. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• First off, congrats on the life long immunity to chicken pox now! :) Secondly, I remember my mom putting calomine (spelling?) lotion on mine and maybe putting socks on my hands?
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Camomile and ice. My twins had the pox a few weeks ago. Have her scrach a teddy bear in the area that feels itchy. For instance, if her tummy feels itchy, have her scratch the teddybear's tummy!
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 10:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Calamine lotion and mittens or gloves so she can't scratch. Bathe her in an oatmeal bathe a couple times a day (Aveeno has a great one).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Oatmeal baths (just pulverize oatmeal in a coffee grinder and tie in an old stocking), calamine lotion, mittens or gloves.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We used tea bag and oatmeal baths. The tannin in the tea is soothing. So is the oatmeal. You can do this, grind oatmeal fine and add it to the tub or put regular oatmeal in a sock and put it in the water and swish it. The oatmeal can clog pipes so you don't want to do it straight. :) Where are ya that your kid has Chicken pox? I haven't heard of it in our area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We used the Aveeno oatmeal baths and caladryl clear. My daughter is a little older, but she loved putting the caladryl on herself with a cotton ball - at least is distracted her from the scratching!

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009