Have you ever thrown a party for your child and noone showed up?

We threw a party and only one girl showed up and then she left....how did you help your child deal with this socially? I mean this is hard enough for her anyways but at 11....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• How sad. Kids and parents can be so unkind. Hugs to you and your daughter.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:21 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• That's so sad, really. Why did that happen? Has anything happened at her school lately?
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 10:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• did all of these people RSVP? Thats horrible... How many kids were invited?
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• No I can't say that ever happened to my child. But it did happen to one of his friends. He was so upset. the mother was so angry because she had so much food there. I asked my son did his friends tell him if they were going to his party or not. ahead of time. And my son said some said yes they were going and some said no they had other plans. So im really sorry that ,that happened to you. When my friends son asked his friends what happened ,how come they didn't show up to his party. they just said they forgot all about it.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:16 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Has not happened to my, but recently my son was the only one that showed up to another kids party. Here are a few things that I think may have been the reason:
    They sent the invitations out 4 weeks before the party which I think leads to people forgetting. I usually do 2 weeks and then send a reminder type email the week of saying "looking forward to seeing your child, let me know if you need additional info about the party"
    He had in on Saturday during football/soccer season when a lot of the kids have games and families with multiple kids have multiple games
    There were no directions or RSVP on the invite

The kid is a great kid and I see no reason why people would have intentionally not gone to his party to be mean. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in us we forget our social skills and how a child might feel if no one came to his party.

Sorry for your daughter, that would hurt my heart for my child!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• When my oldest turned 16 we had planned a hug party with kids from school...at the beach, tons of food & soda and only 2 kids showed up & they left after an hour for a better party. That was hard. It broke my sons heart.

And then yesterday my youngest son turned 18 and we were expecting about 14-16 kids from the high school but no one showed up. There was a basketball game that was away and some of the invited kids were there (either playing or as cheerleaders) and others who were invited chose to go to a party with alcohol that happened to be being held at the same time. It was fine with my son though because the kids from school were just that, just kids from school. The people that mattered showed up...his 3 cousins, his 1 cousins boyfriend, his 6 closest friends who he knows he can always count on and his brother's gf along with his dad and I and his brother (his other 2 brothers called, they live out of state).
    Anonymous

• Was there ample notice? Was did the party coincide with something going on in the area? Do you request RSVP's? I would hate to think that kids were just being mean but I know it an happen...I'm so sorry.
    Anonymous

• Thanks so much for all your replies and concerns...there was ample time...invitations went out a week and a half ago and RSVPs were requested but noone called...but when you don't get RSVPs, what are you to do? Not have the party? IDK...my dd is better about it now, and the girl who left came back with her parents this morning to apologize. It is really wrong to leave a party when noone else showed up, but understandable that it is weird to be at one when noone else showed up. Really, all my dd's birthdays are like this...she is not the most popular girl and her birthday is middle December with so much going on. This will be the last "party" we throw.
    Anonymous

• This happened to someone I know.
    I'm going to have ds' next a Chucky Cheese; if nothing else, he'll have a lot to do and his cousins.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Thats very sad. Even my oddball child who normally has no friends the last party we had for her we had 15 or so show up. Im not sure why? Maybe they couldnt afford a gift so they didnt come? I always put gifts not necesarry.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2009