Why deny our kids of the myth?

I have run across so many journals of moms not wanting to lie to their kids about Santa, just wanted to point out what your missing.

Myth make the world a more enchanted place.
We all remember when we realized that Santa is not real. But the only thing that changed was our knowledge of the truth but still beleived in the myth. There are times when we need to pretend to beleive in things we know not to be true. We know that the world is a hard place of suffering and hardship and we know too that justice and kindness and love will not prevail against these hard realities. Myths help us get by, it makes the world a more enchanted place.

Asked by older at 10:28 AM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Out of so many responses it is hard to pick just one. I am glad to see that most parents agree with me even those who never do. The month of December brings with it a lot of magic by itself, it is the last one of the year which by the way it wasn't a good one economically for a lot of us and brings hope for a better one coming up. Children have wonderful imaginations and just like a fairy tale that most of us read to them they are enchanted by the thought of a fat jolly old man coming to everyones house to bring them gifts, it isn't a lie since this man one existed, we just have to explain that we carry on this man's legacy of kindness and generosity in the spirit of the season. But even those of us who leave it for them to beleive or not, there is no harm done either way. Most of us if not all at one time or another have told mercyful fibs to our kids only because they not quite understand some subjects. Happy Holidays!

Answer by older at 8:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I totally agree.
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 10:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• That's what I told my children. Santa is a myth. He is not real but made up to make Christmas more fun. Some parents tell their kids Santa is real and they want their kids to believe this. It would be nice if you don't go around telling kids Santa is not real, he is a myth.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• i know! its hilarious the number of people who claim they are (still!) scarred because of this myth. please..grow up, is what i say. children are only children for so long..a little fantasy makes life/reality easier and more fun at times. speaking of fantasy..i bet some of these same adults who see negativity in the 'santa myth' do daydream or 'play' with myths/fantasy (or have done so) in their personal/ private lives. what is the difference,eh? a little fantasy never hurt anyone, and neither has santa!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:41 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Myths are lies, and why tell them it's true and set your child up for disappointment when they find out it's NOT? Doesn't sound very loving to me- sounds kind of like emotional abuse.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:48 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• emotional abuse? that's a bit of a stretch.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:50 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Lying is definitely emotional abuse...

I won't lie to my kids
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 10:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• The myth accentuates kindness and generosity, what a wonderful trait !
    I have never understood why some parents would deprive themselves of the excitement of Christmas day for any child, they are young and naive for such a short period of time their innocence is a precious state of mind that lasts very little. Same goes for any other myth, toothfairy, Easter bunny, but Christmas has a whole month to cultivate and ignite that excitemnet culminating on the day.

In todays world some of us are not dong well economically, and are pressured into buying for a society of kids who get bombarded with things to buy through the media. This is where the myth gets confusing for kids, and this is where parent intervention is a must but always keeping the myth alive.

Answer by older at 10:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I believed in santa growing up and it was WONDERFUL!! I would and still do, get so excited about christmas.. i dont get people who are angry with people for telling their children he is real.. ITS FUN.. its fun for us, and the children. and it hurts NO ONE.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Yoshi and Ihartu, it is not lying if it is a myth, like fairy tales, doesn't everyone at one time read fairy tales to kids? Where is the harm in making an innocent mind glow with excitement. To most of us the dissapointment was worth the thrill.

Answer by older at 11:03 AM on Dec. 13, 2009