At what point does "telling the truth" turn into "hurting someone's feelings"?

Some people live in a bubble, and cannot handle any truths whatsoever. Do you avoid these people or do you continue being honest with them, even though you know they will get hurt? What is the breaking point, when honesty turns into pure meanness?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Umm I honestly couldnt tell you. I dont really know those thin skined type. Everyone I know will tell you how it is straight up.
    I guess if you see it is starting to hurt them and you just keep at it because you are enjoying it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Honesty turns into meanness when the reason for telling someone the truth is to cause harm, grief or hurt. Telling someone the truth to help them or because they are on a road to destruction is never mean. It is all about the way you tell the person or the words and emotions you use.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Well said tyfry7496!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:28 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Ahhhhhh, critical thinking on a Sunday morning ;D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I always TRY and be nice at first, but the more they refuse to see or ignore the truth, the madder I get and I always end up hurting them- although by that time, I don't care if I do or not; i just want them and their problems to go away and leave me alone.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:35 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Beware your wrath :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Be honest as much as you can but remember that wont save them from their problems or themselves. So knowing when being honest is not going to be effective, In my opnion, is the time to just back off. That doesn't mean you have to pretend with them. You can be clear with people who want to keep their heads in the sand that you need space from that.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 12:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• THERE'S A NICE WAY TO TELL ANYONE ANYTHING IN A NICE WAY.ITS ALL IN HOW YOU CHOSE YOUR WORDS, AND TONE OF VOICE. ANYTHING CAN BE DONE NICELY.
    RUSTI44

Answer by RUSTI44 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• When you are being honest to be hurtful.
    Anonymous

• my mom wants to live on a cushion of denial i used to try to be honest but she would literally flip, just to avoid the arguments i say nothing, but i do think she suffers with a mental illness
    ARRI23

Answer by ARRI23 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2009