My husband and i are having an argument over tipping for a hair cut....who can settle this?

I say to tip her 5 bucks, she is cutting my hair ( i get a bob) no blowdry, it is 14.99 and i get my eyebrows waxed for another 10 bucks. My hubby says only tip her 1 dollar, TWO at the most if she makes good conversation. He says the only people you tip that much money are your server if you go out to eat, or a bartender. I say why would i tip a bartender more money when all they do is pour liquid into a glass, while my hair stylist stands there for 20 plus minutes cutting my hair.

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:30 AM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• 5 dollars is good for what you are getting done. I have tipped as much as 20! I got A LOT done though :P
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• i think you tip her fine, i am going to start in the field soon and actually it's undertipping by a lil bit. your husband is WAY off though! i only tip 5 bucks too, unless she does a good job styling then it might be a lil bit more
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I usually tip $5 too. Sometimes more. My hair cuts are about $23. If i don't have change, I'll just give her the $30.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Why would I tip the hair dresser? It's their job and they charge too much anyway...
    Anonymous

• Wow to the person who doesn't tip. I hope your hair dresser remembers you and cuts off a huge chunk next time you're in. Hairdressers invest a lot of time and energy into their clients, whereas a server only brings you your food and refills your drink and such. Just remember-- the 'proper' tip is 15% of the total cost, unless you're unhappy with your results. Tell your husband to try doing a hair dressers job and see how much he thinks he deserves for doing just that- much less making conversation and such.
    Anonymous

• I try to tip 15% for a haircut.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I always do 5 bucks... i think thats good... last time i had my hair cut it was 40 bucks (i had no idea it was going to be that expensive!!) and i still gave 5 bucks. lol.. maybe thats cheap but she just cut it and dried it.. when i get it colored and such i pay more.. but for a haircut 5 dollars is great! One dollar is crazy! lol.. men are so cheap
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I tip between 10% & 20%, depending on how good of a job the person did- for waiters, hairdressers, bartenders, & anyone else who is usually tipped. If it really knocks my socks off, I will tip up to 30%, but if it's horrible, I won't tip at all.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Lol, I totally agree with YOU, and not your husband. When in doubt, always tip more. And, really, if you are overtipping...it'll only make her feel more appreciated, and there is never anything wrong with that. On the contrary, she may be insulted if you only give her $1, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• i only tip $1 but i never go back to the person that does my hair, i dont normally have "a person". i go to a training salon that school the girls that you normally get the haircut for cheap because they are schooling and teaching them.

if i was to go to the same person, i'd give more.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2009