What can I do for my 9 month old's cough and runny nose?

My son woke up this morning coughing and his nose is runny. What can I give him or do for him to make him feel better. I wont be able to take him to the doctor until Tuesday because they aren't in on Sunday and Mondays. He also sounds kindly horse when he babbles or cries.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't give him anything. You can suck the snot out of his nose or use baby nasal saline you get at the drug store.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't give a baby anything, or a child for that matter. Let it run it's course. I wouldn't even go to the Dr, but that's just me. Make a saline solution up and drop 1 or 2 droplettes in the nose with a suction bulb and then suck all the snot out.
    Good luck!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• warm baths and steamy bathrooms or humidifiers should make him more comfortable. if he seems like he's in pain (like a sore throat) give him a little tylenol. saline solution. and just hang in there! it will pass on it's own, there's not a lot you can do except make him comfortable and wait for it to pass. if he runs a high fever, or develops more serious symptoms, take him to an urgent care or ER, but that's unlikely. hang in there mama!
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• i just letting it run its course. this is not the first time my 9month old has had a caugh and runny nose. last tim ei took her to the dr and it was better on its own. this time around is a little worse because of all the snot but like the other posters said. saline solution, humifier, keep hydrated. i did call the dr office and the nurse told me that. just monitor for a fever. good luck. its worse on us then them. as long as they are eating and sleeping its all good.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2009