drug testing welfare applicants

I have heard this idea before and I believe some states are trying to pass a law that says if you apply for welfare you will be drug and alcohol tested. I for one think it is a great idea! I know many people who are on everytype of assistance out there and when they do work they spend all of the money they earn on drugs. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. We are not rich by any means and we work our butts off for everything we have. So it infuriates me that we pay taxes for other people to sit on their butts and collect welfare and smoke all they're money away. What are your thoughts?

blondiemaker07

Asked by blondiemaker07 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There is nothing called Welfare!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• if it would make everyone shut up about people abusing the system and being lazy then i dont mind pissing in a cup to get my wic checks. i have nothing to hide.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• You do understand that with the system as it is in place today nobody can just "sit on their butts" & collect welfare? Someone in the household has to be working, job training, looking for a job etc. Also TANF has a 5 yr limit no matter what.
    Anonymous

• Ppl do sit on their butts. I know plenty of ppl that do. My friend lives with her parents and they have 7 ppl in that house and only her mom works part time at tacobell. They pay 28 dollars a month in rent for a 5 bedroom house and they all receive medical. Any cash they do bring in is spent on beer cigarettes and pot. Oh and their food stamps just went up to 700 dollars a month. And yes there is such a thing as welfare.
    blondiemaker07

Answer by blondiemaker07 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• i have a hard time believing they all 7 recieve medicaid in that household, it is not as easy for adults to recieve medicaid. At least I don't think it is. The welfare system has been changed alot over the past 10 years to ensure people are doing something to recieve food stamps and the money given to parents for their children, each state calls it by something different.
    It would cost a large amount of money to have the drug testing for the states, I don't think it would be a bad idea, but don't see it happening. But seriously, I highly doubt the 7 people you are talking about are living the high life, $700 a month for a family of 7 is a drop in the bucket. I personally spend near that much for a family of 3, so I don't see them eating high on the hog for that amount.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• While most welfare recipients are decent and hard working, there are always those who blatantly play the system. I have had to pee in the cup for numerous jobs, and to keep those jobs. Look at it that way. It's no different than having a job.

I don't understand all the bitchin about why it should not happen. I look at it as when I have had to do so over 10 years randomly for an employer. I want to keep the job, I need to pee clean. You want to keep the help, you need to pee clean. It's kind of a no- brainer to me.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Right now they do not have the man power for this. In AZ they are not doing interviews any more my sis did her reapply and was approved without an interview. I applied and only have to turn in certain information. I would careless if they asked me to drug test. I know they have closed a bunch of offices here so I am not sure it would be feasible. Not sure how other sates are doing though
    Anonymous

• People have to pass drug tests for jobs.. so why shouldnt they for government money? I believe they should have to.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Then i assume you are mad as hell at politicians for being the biggest welfare reciepents . You do know u pay thier salaries to run your life. LOL
    Anonymous

Not all jobs
    Anonymous