How can I get my 5 month old to sleep at night?

So, my 5 month old son sleep fine during the day when he naps. Yes he is teething and has a tendency to have bad gas cramps, I realize that all this play a factor. But at night he barley sleeps, he will sleep for a couple of hours at first but after that, he tosses and turns and wont sleep. He cry's at night almost constantly, what do i do? is there any special trick that i'm missing? This is my first and I feel loop less... lol Help!!

TwistedKitties

Asked by TwistedKitties at 12:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby had eczema that could be it. Eczema has been keeping me awake at night.

You might try having him sleep less during the day and make sure he is getting sunlight. Since it is Dec. he may not be getting enough light and it is messing up his cycles.

I hope you are breastfeeding and not giving any other foods as recommended. If not it could be formula or foods you are giving.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Babies wake at night. And the vast maority that appear to "sleep through" ARE waking up just not calling out. Expect a "sleep through" to be 4 hours and if you get more than that you are lucky. We all (adults too) wake up to pee, when thirsty, hungry, in pain, too hot/cold, itchy etc. Your baby will have varying sleep patterns especially when growth spurting or teething or feeling bad. He's also at an age of awareness and separation anxiety...he now understand that not only do you exist but that when you leave you are gone and he has no concept of time and when you will come back -- that can be very scary.

Also, mouth pain and gas pain hurts a heck of a lot more when you are lying down and not distracted by daytime activities. You can let him sleep with you, or in a baby seat that is semi reclined in the same room with you.

Do you know what is causing his gas?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Is he waking himself up? You might try swaddling him or, if he's too big for that, try putting him to bed on his tummy. Little ones who flail a lot in their sleep can wake themselves up and at this age, they don't know how to put themselves back to sleep yet. My son slept swaddled until he turned six months old. Then he kicked himself out of the blanket and rolled onto his tummy. He's slept like that ever since and he's almost two now.
    It could be something you always feed him in the evening, or something you always eat in the afternoon (it takes 4 to 6 hours for your food to work its way into your milk supply) if you're nursing him.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I'm assuming that it is his formula that is giving him gas. Yes he is waking himself up, and he sleeps on his tummy. lol most he spends in his crib when i put him down is rolling on to his back, but then he cry's cause he is on his back and refuses to sleep on his back. So i have to block off both sides of him so he wont roll himself over. I would swaddle him but there is NO blanket that he cant get out of. He kicks his legs until it is off of him. Which is another reason i started to put him on his tummy... that way he cant kick off the blanket.
    TwistedKitties

Answer by TwistedKitties at 2:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2009