Pagens... I have holiday question...

Do you go into your childbirth's class rooms and teach them about winter Solstice? Do you get upset byt hem learning about Christmas and the other more common winter holidays? At my sons school they always have one mom who comes in and talks about Hanukkah and this year a parent came in to about talk Kwanzaa as well... Have you ever done this? I just wondered. I would be fine with it if you did. I like it that my son can learn so much about other peoples faiths or practices.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• my DS is one and i'm still not sure if i'm going to home school or put him in public school yet. but if i did put him in public school i think it would be great if i could talk in his class about Yule
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 1:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I never talked to a class about our holiday because my daughter never asked me to. I don't care if winter holidays are discussed as part of a social studies or history lesson, as long as there is an attempt to discuss different beliefs. I don't get bent out of shape if "my holiday" isn't discussed. I don't think religious discussions are appropriate for the school, but if customs etc. are part of a lesson on culture that doesn't bother me. It is a thin line & it is easier to avoid it than try not to cross it, but if done well it can be beneficial. I made sure my daughter learned about different cultures, religions, holidays etc. so I never felt I needed the school to do it.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Ya know (giving this some more thought) what upset me about Christmas at school when my daughter was younger (she is a teen now & can handle things herself) was the attitude behind it all. There would be a Christmas party, a Christmas tree, a Christmas pageant, Christmas carols sung in music class & so on. Then "other" holidays might be mentioned briefly as if it were some strange thing that people who didn't know any better celebrated in far away places. There was always the implied message that Christmas was what normal people celebrated & people who celebrated something else were freakish and/or stupid. I know this was the message that got through, whether intended or not, because it was how kids at her school reacted when they found out my daughter celebrated something else.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I live in Bible country. If I went in to talk in class about it, within a week my son would be ostracized and bullied, possibly even beaten, by his Christian classmates.
    Anonymous

• Do you go into your childbirth's class rooms and teach them about winter Solstice?
    Nope. It's bad enough that only one of my DS1's friend came to his birthday party. I can't imagine the kind of treatment he'd get if I even suggested that i offer information on Yule or the Solstice.

Do you get upset by them learning about Christmas and the other more common winter holidays?
    Nope. I am their first teacher and friend. And I am happy to let them learn about other religions and all that they encompass. We have a book in our home about Hanukkah as well as the Christian Christmas, and of course, i have my stories of Yule and such. I wish i had more diversity ...but they are still young so i have a while to build on it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My kids are homeschooled, but if they were in public school I would not participate because I don't think public school is the place for those things to be discussed. My decision would be based on my feelings about what should and should not be taught in public schools though and not on how I feel about sharing or not sharing my religious beliefs with others. If my children were in a small co-operative private school, it would be a different story. I probably would participate under those circumstances because the parents would presumable be informed about the program and would be able to discuss it with their children.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• lol. I just realized my browser corrected my miss type as childbirth! It was supposed to be child's class.
    Anonymous