Is your child on medicaid and how old is the child?

I am curious how many moms on here have children on medicaid and the ages of the children. I recently had to put my son on medicaid because I simply could not afford the COBRA coverage any longer, I was fine with paying $350 a month, but when it raised to almost $500, I just couldn't do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Both my sons are on state medical insurance and they are 5 and 2 as well. My husband has been in and out of employment for the past 7 years so there have been times when they were not, It is hard to find a job in our state at the moment. My husband is starting school in January and I will be starting next fall part time. We gotta get out of this hole we are in.
    Anonymous

• my sons are disabled and they were born less that 1000 grams, they have disability medicaid, i could never afford what it costs to care for them
    ARRI23

Answer by ARRI23 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Why do you feel bad about your child being on Medicaid? In most states your child will get great care. If you were paying $350 before and they could have been getting Medicaid that was like taking money away from your children. People don't understand that. If you have children and don't get benefits you qualify for it is your children that suffer.

Children can usually stay on until their 19th birthday if the only reason they are on Medicaid is financial.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My daughters are 13 months old and are on Medicaid. We were living with family for a while and my husband lost his job. I used to get Tricare for my family, but could not afford it anymore.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 1:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Gaill it was more of a pride thing that I didn't put my child on it. Honestly I would have continued paying the COBRA insurance if it hadn't raised like that. The stigma that comes with medicaid is not something I wanted to deal with when I take my child to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• i have my child on medicaid. we dont' make enough to cover our medical insurance they wanted 1200 a month. she is 2
    Anonymous

• Both of my daughters are on state funded medical insurance. Ages 5 and 2.
    Anonymous

• My child is on state medical insurance. I pay a premium based on my income but it is only $34 amonth. We had to let our insurance go in March because the pay cut I took at my job and they didn't offer or provide insurance. My husband and I are without but my son is covered. We were paying $700 a month.
    Anonymous

• "my sons are disabled and they were born less that 1000 grams, they have disability medicaid, i could never afford what it costs to care for them"

Same here. One member of our family is on medi-cal since he is severely disabled. He is now 15. We pay a fortune for lousy coverage for the rest of us, since we are self-employed.

When you have a kid with significant special medical needs, almost no one would be able to pay out of pocket and no insurance company will take them.

To me, this is something good about this country, and at least the money goes to support life, unlike the billions spent on killing and destruction.
    diospira

Answer by diospira at 1:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Yes, My children are on medicad. I wish I had insurance. grrr
    Anonymous