Houston biggest US city to elect openly gay mayor...Surprised this hasnt been posted yet. LOL I know a few people I would had thought would had jumped all over this.

I dont understand really why it should matter that she is gay, I hope she was picked because she was the best not just she is gay.
What is your take?

HOUSTON – Houston became the largest U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor, with voters handing a solid victory to City Controller Annise Parker after a hotly contested runoff.

Several other U.S. cities, including Portland, Ore., Providence, R.I., and Cambridge, Mass., have openly gay mayors, but none are as large as Houston.

"This election has changed the world for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community. Just as it is about transforming the lives of all Houstonians for the better, and that's what my administration will be about," Parker told supporters after her opponent, Gene Locke, conceded defeat.

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'll be happy when a person can get elected in this country without the mention of his/her sexuality. It has nothing to do with their intelligence or ability to do the job so why is it even mentioned.
    Phase3

Answer by Phase3 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I think it is pretty awesome!
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 2:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• That is awesome!
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Everyones to busy fighting over whether or not santa is abusive to notice that the most anti gay state in the nation had a gay man elected as mayor.
    Anonymous

• Isn't there more pressing things going on to worry about someone gay being elected into office? Hopefully the voters voted for the best candidate not because this person is gay.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Houston is a very large city and very large cities tend to be liberal. It is no surprise to me. Large liberal cities do not accurately represent the rest of the state. As a military wife, I have seen this in several states, including the one I currently reside in.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Frankly, I do not care to know about anyone's (other than my spouse) sexual preference- Will that affect their performance/ ability as a mayor?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

Phase it is out there because it is controversial, but I agree with you.

Answer by older at 4:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Hasn't the gay thing been beaten to death enough this week? I mean really, how many gay people are really out there? I really am just sick to death of this topic polluting the boards here...NOTHING anyone says here changes anybody's mind about how they already feel about the topic....next question please...!

Anonymous