Why is pink used the 3rd Sunday of advent and not the 4th?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The candle is pink to symbolize Joy and it markes a shift from the first two weeks of Advent that are meant to be more solemn and self reflective to the anticipation of the celebration of the birth of Christ.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• In the Catholic church Advent is a time of penance and anticipation of the second coming of Jesus, so the color of our candles are purple which symbolizes repentance and solemnity. On the 3rd Sunday of Advent (Gaudete Sunday) we look forward to the 'light at the end of the tunnel', Christ's birth which we celebrate on Christmas day so the candle is 'lightened' to pink and symbolizes joy.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 3:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My son asked Father this today. here's what he said. Gaudete Sunday is the midway point to Christmas. As we look forward to the light of the world coming. Much like dawn as the sun is rising. the Sky starts out dark then turns to a purple color into the rose color. He actually said it much better.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Actually the candle is ROSE NOT PINK. LOL Sorry, the priest at the parish I most often attend emphasizes that point every Advent.

I go with what erdavh said and I like oldermomof5's explanation, too :-)
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 14, 2009