how did poinsettias become a symbol for Christmas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe it is because that is when they bloom. When Europeans found them here they sent them home for Christmas & since they are red, they are a natural to keep being used for the holiday.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• i think they are so beautiful. .I can't keep them though.. im not much of a green thumb person.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I really dont know. Its red maybe and its a winter plant. Kind of like the pumpkin is associated with Halloween.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• They aren't, they're just a winter flower and since Christmas is in the winter...well, you get the point. Like was stated already, it's like the pumpkin being used for Halloween, and also like lillies for Easter, etc. Just a timing thing on nature's part.
    Anonymous

• google it :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• ive never thought of them as a symbol for Christmas, just a beautiful winter flower that happens to be a Christmas color.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• The pink and white ones are very pretty as well. Our cub scouts sell them every year and normally there is snow when we pick them up and have to be very careful to keep them out of the cold, I always think it is funny that I end up buying these plants each year that cant survive in this climate (no tropical climate here). But they are so pretty and the money is for a good cause so i do it every year.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2009