Question for Sahms

At what age do you feel it's most beneficial for a child to have a sahm? I've been a sahm since my daughter was born and plan to remain so until my youngest is in high school, but if I were only able to stay at home for a few years I would pick the school years instead of the first five. It seems like a lot of mothers seem to feel that the younger years are the most important, but to me it's the later years, when children are dealing with homework, activities, and peer pressure that a sahm is able to make the most impact in her child's life. What do you think? Is is more important to have a sahm during the early years or later years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• You can still be at home when they're older even if you work. Just get a job that doesn't interfere with the hours your children get home from school.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• That's a tough question because kids need their moms in different ways at different ages. I think staying home the first year is beneficial for the mom even more than the baby, especially if they are breastfeeding. It's great for the mother to get to really have that opportunity to bond with her new baby and watch all the first milestones like words and steps and all that. The child might not remember it, but the mother certainly will. I also think that the toddler years are important because the child needs to be secure in knowing that mom is around. The school years are important for many of the reasons you mentioned. I've stayed home since the beginning and I can't imagine skipping any of it, so I honestly don't know which stage I would pick if I had to. It's a good, thought provoking question though.
    Anonymous

• Basically the point of the question is at what age does it benefit a child the most to have a mother that is able to focus most of her attention on him or her.
    Anonymous

• I plan on being home with my kids until both are in school and then I will work during their school hours so that I will still be home with them when they're home.
    They will both still have as much of my attention as I can give them but then I wont be sitting at home by myself while they're at school when I could be out at a part time job helping to bring in an income.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• While your child is at home. All ages. Until they move out.
    Anonymous

• I plan on being at home until my kids move away on their own. Then I plan on being at home to enjoy my grandchildren.
    Anonymous

• i dont like bieng a sahm , but i do it cuz right now i feel they need me. also i onloy have 6 mts left in sc and then the marines move us, so there is no point on me working but as soon as i can am going back to work part time and once my youngest turns 3 ill go back to work full time.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I woulds say the first year then the school years/teen years.....Even though kids are at school they have more needs and look up to a parent more who is free for them to call on when they need something from home and enjoy seeing mom volunteer at school or go on field trips. Teen tears a parent should be home when the kids get home......kids get away with WAY TOO MUCH because they know they have the house to themselves for a few hours.
    I have been a sahm for many many years now and my kids have needed me more in jr. high and high school then any other time. I can't tell you how many times I had to run jeans to my daughters school nurse because she had her period.
    Babies just need their mommies that first year and moms need to see the "firsts" not someone else.
    Anonymous

• I plan on being a SAHM until my daughter is either in pre-school or starts kindergarten. Then I plan on going back to college. I already have an associates, but want to get my bachelor's. Then I'll probably start working after that, though I only plan on taking just enough classes to be a full time student. Nothing extra to try and get done faster. Things could change, but this is the plan for now.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I tried to worked part-time, during school hours when my kids were all in school full-time. It didn't work well at all. I stay home now, but when I find a job, it will have to be weekend hours again. Ii think school-aged kids need a parent around if possible. Plus, what happens when the child is sick and a parent has to call in sick to work?

I like being able to pick up my daughter from high school, and the younger ones as well. I like having the energy to help with homework, because I was able to do the cleaning, etc while they were in school. I honestly think my kids need me more now, than they ever did before they were in school.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2009