My baby hates tummy time. How can I get her to enjoy it more so she can get more tummy time?

She is 3 mos old and screams and cries when I lay her on her tummy.

deena812

Asked by deena812 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did the same thing. They say that you should give them 10-15 minutes of tummy time every day but they also say it doesn't have to be all in one go.
    We'd give him a couple of minutes at a time and eventually he got better at holding himself up and he liked it.
    With my daughter(since we're now in a place with wood floors as opposed to the carpeted place we had when my son was a baby) I would give her tummy time on my chest. She will push up to see my face and give me smiles and kisses. She does "ok" on the floor for tummy time but usually after a few minutes she's had enough.

Try having her on you and see how she does. Or try the 2-3 minute intervals throughout the day of TT and see.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• my daughter hated it until she learned how to hold her head up. once she could, she was fine. if you haven't done so, try getting her a tummy time play mat, they have all kinds of things for baby to explore. also, try laying on your tummy facing her....talk to her and play with her, she might respond more to you than to a toy. good luck!
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• ifshe doesnt like it dont do it. when she is able to hold he head up well and rest on her elbows do it more. or try laying her on a mat that has toys she can look at, but she she totally hates it let learn to do it on her own. my daughter didnt like it until she learned to roll over.
    Anonymous

• My son didn't care much for it either, last night my cousin suggested putting him on a boppy pillow so he'd be slightly elevated; I did that today for the first time, worked great! He's 4 months and does a great job holding his head up, he just gets frustrated when he's flat on his tummy because he tries to move forward and doesn't go anywhere. Having a pillow under his chest makes it easier for him to look around.
    Try lying on the floor with her, too, face to face, and talking to her, or give her a rattle or something to hold.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2009