If religion isn't supposed to be in school then why do the sports teams pray before games?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against prayer, as I do it myself. But I have noticed that my sons basketball team says a prayer before games. Which I have no problem with at all, but I am curious how this is allowed. I find it rather interesting.

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 3:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There are places that don't do it anymore. That is kind of sad. It has been my experience that these types of prayers are made to "God" and the worlds 3 largest faiths recognize the same "God" I also think it is sad that people would object to the "praying" for the safety and fgood sportsmanship of the teams, which is what most of these prayers focus on. I mean, what kind of jerk REALLY objects to the request for safety and good sportsmanship?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• It is interesting.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• It is allowed in schools, it is not allowed to be required in schools. Your son's team has the right to pray if they so choose, in private. They are not allowed to force anyone to pray with them, nor are they allowed to force the spectators to pray with them. They are allowed to pray on their own behalf, they are not allowed to pray on behalf of the school.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• why not??Better than wishing for an evil eye. Let it be.
    Anonymous

• Because anon, there may be a student that is not Christian on the team. And many times the prayers are done out on the court or field and over the loud speakers. It is definately NOT in private.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Its up to their preference tho. Even if you are christian you dont have to bow your head you dont have to say amen you dont even have to pay attention. If the team players dont mind and dont care then why make a big deal over it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Sports are considered extra-curricular and optional, so they aren't necessarily subject to the same rules as the school classrooms. As long as people who don't wish to participate in the prayer aren't being forced to, it's not crossing any lines.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I am Islamic and I have had that very problem. I don't mind people praying but if you don't at least act like you are praying the other team members do harass your child and sometimes coaches. It's is along the same line as having the Christian groups handing out NT at lunch time and having all the children file in front of the whole lunch room. It is their way for everyone to see who is Christian and who is not. Please don't act like if a Jewish person led the prayer or even Pagan that it would still be ok. Most of the Christians would protest any such suggestion.

Anonymous

• It has never not been ok for kids to pray at school; what's not ok is for the school to mandate it or for a school official to lead it. If the prayer is student-led and not required, then there's nothing wrong with it. If it's faculty-led and/or required, then it's a problem and whoever disagrees with it has a right to speak out. Otherwise...it's the students' choice.
    Anonymous

• Your son's team says a prayer because no one has called them on it yet. I don't have a problem with saying prayers at occasions like this--we all could use some Divine inspiration and strength in a competition. It's when you're in a non-religious setting and someone takes it upon themselves to offer up a very Christian, Jewish, Islamic-specific prayer without regard for the diversity of groups present, that I don't like. It's very possible to offer up a beautiful, inspirational prayer without an in-your-face attitude toward other groups.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2009