Are teachers really supposed to do that?

My son's teacher told the class that everybody is expecting the end of the world in 2012. My son's in 2nd grade and he's scared to death about it!! I really don't think I'm over reacting, I think I should talk to the principal about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OMG. I would have a serious talk with the principal. Does this idiot teacher know what kind of nightmares this will encourage???? My kids are TEENS and they cannot watch even the previews of the movie 2012 without getting scared!
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Wow! i would be really angry about that. I would def. bring it up to the principal. that sounds crazy.. if that is her belief fine, but there is no PROOF of that.. thats an opinion not a fact and she def. has no place speaking to children about that!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I'd seriously be upset. I think I'd talk to the principal about it
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 3:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I don't think a teacher should tell a 2nd grade class that people are expecting the world to end in 2012 (even tho I don't believe its going to anyways) That's a scary thing for a lil one like that to think about and its inappropriate as well. I think you should go talk to the principal about it.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 3:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Wow? i CAN'T IMAGINE HER SAYING THIS!!! Yes, I think I would get it cleared up, perhaps he misunderstood what she was trying to say? I would talk to her first, and if she says yes she did do it, straight to the principal! Do they still swat? LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Was she teaching history or did she just randomly state this? You might want to get all the facts before freaking out.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• OP here.

He did not misunderstand, I've talked to 3 other moms and all their kids are worried and scared.
    Anonymous

• not appropriate, whether in lesson plan or random thought. Especially for 2nd grade.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• i would voice your concerns....i don't think any 2nd grader should be told that by a teacher....maybe a topic in high school, but not grade school
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Wow, I'd talk to the principal right away! The idiot teacher. One 2nd grader could be seriously damaged. In 2000 when some ppl were expecting "the end of the world" again, many ppl even killed themselves in order to avoid seeing it. And we're talking about adults here!! Gee, she's crazy to talk about it to CHILDREN!
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 3:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2009