Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I file taxes if I get paid cash for babysitting and they are not claiming it?

Can I do it without using their info? The only reason I want to is so I can get the child tax credit.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (12)
  • Do you have a tax ID number for running a small business at home? Do you have the reciepts from the payments?

    Answer by Shyma at 3:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

  • you would have to ask a tax professional, but i think you can only get the child tax credit if you are paying for childcare....also if they don't claim it and you do, i think they can get in trouble for tax, they'll benefit more than you will if they are the ones paying for your services...but ask a tax person, they can tell u better than i can

    Answer by CTC7122006 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

  • Do you mean if YOU are doing the paying? If your the babysitter, you don't get the tax credit, the person PAYING YOU does,! Hope this helps, if you are running a daycare that isn't on the books, your asking for trouble, good luck!

    Answer by kimigogo at 3:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

  • OP- we got the child tax credit last year and we never paid out for babysitting. And I am not running an in home daycare, I am a live in nanny.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

  • The law states that if you are paying for more then half of the childs care then you can claim that child. however if your not then you cant. and if you get audited you could be in a leagal bind.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

  • OP- I do provide over half of his care.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

  • You still get tax credit for the child, as a dependent, but if you don't pay for childcare the tax credit---the IRS allows you to deduct 3500 for childcare that YOU pay for per child, the dependent has nothing to do with your income, the allowance is the same, if your being paid in cash, and they are not reporting it and you do, that is going to cause problems for them, I would sit down and talk to them depending on you and your spouses income, you will be responsible for paying up to 35% of your income to Uncle sam, for Social securtiy etc..if it was me I wouldn't mess with it, but thats just me, hope this was of help, and sorry I just assumed babysitting was a babysitter, not a nanny--LOL! Do you get a free place for your family to live as well, thats pretty cool!

    Answer by kimigogo at 3:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

  • PS--YOu must show that your PAYING for the childs care! Good luck!

    Answer by kimigogo at 3:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

  • kimigogo- it's OK, I should have been more specific. Me and my son live with them, me and my husband are separated. How do I prove paying for him?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

  • Okay now I am really confused, LOL! Re read your question, it looks like that you are the one getting paid, not vice versa? You nanny and send DS to a babysitter? He is with hubby half the time? If you didn't make plans with the person watching him, your gonna cause a firestorm, first year I had DS in daycare and paying very well for it, at the end of the year she wouldn't give me her info, and I had paid over 5,ooo!!! You cannot claim it with out their SS# I went round and round over it! I wouldn't have been so mad if I had gotten a deal, most of the time people who aren't claiming it work a little cheaper, so IDK do you like where you send him? How much do you pay, do you want to upset the apple cart? Good luck!

    Answer by kimigogo at 3:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.