How do i get my younger son to help clean the room???

So to put the background in a nut shell, i've had DS2 longer then i've had DS1. DS1 just turned 5 and DS2 is almost 4. Before i inherited DS1, DS2 usually would clean his room by himself with very few issues.
But now that I have DS1, DS2 basically refuses to help his brother clean the room. DS1 will ask him "Please help me clean". and DS2 will say "No. I want you to do it". So DS1 DOES do it most of the time, all by himself.

I have tried making them take turns cleaning the room, i've tried having one clean half and the other clean half, i've tried staying near the bedroom the whole time they clean so that i can constantly remind DS2 to clean. And i'm trying to come up with things that will make it clear to DS2 that he can't keep doing this, but at the same time is not a punishment to DS1.

Ideas please?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 3:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How about having one clean one day and the other the next. ??? And go in there and sit while that kid cleans.
    Anonymous

• What the heck are you saying?
    How about, "If you don't clean your room, you will not be able to do.....(fun activity)." Backbone. Get one.
    Anonymous

• I've done both of those. Thanks tho. I have a backbone. I'm constantly accused of being a strict parent. so take your rudeness somewhere else.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2009