how old were your kids when they got a door key?

i have a six year old and next school year i was thinking about giving him a door key to use . I have to be at work at 8:30 am and his bus does not come until 8:15 and i was trying to see if he'd be able to stay at home by himself for 30 minutes if i stayed on my cell phone with him until it was time for him to go across the street to the bus stop.

THATSMYMOMMA

Asked by THATSMYMOMMA at 3:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • in mo you can leave any child alone at any age, however if something bad happens you and the father will be held liable.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• eh....6 is pretty iffy...you would have to have a very mature kid....my son just got a key this year and he's 9 and im definately a laid back free-range kind of parent. at 6 i did occassionally let him stay home alone while i ran to the gas station down the street or something very quick like that. what state are you in? 6 is not legal to be left alone in a lot of states so i would be careful with that too.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 3:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Check the laws in your state. It is not legal to leave your child unsupervised until 8 years old here in MD.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• First off in most states leaving a 6 y/o home alone is against the law, even if it wasnt I wouldnt do it.

To answer your question my almost 12 y/o got his key this year when he started at the middle school, he gets home almost an hour later than the other kids and some days I have already left to go drop the others at ballet, scouts, etc.

My son is of an age to be home alone but not to watch his siblings, If I'm running behind (and I have ) and I am not home when they are out of school my neighbor will watch them for me, my kids walk with hers anyhow so it works out for us.

If you dont have a neighbor with a child that goes to the school try to ask another mom you trust if they could watch your child for the time you will be at work between leaving and school hours. I am lucky that there are 5 of us in a 2 block area with kids in the same class so we cover for each other often.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

Seriously? you could walk out on your infant or your 2 y/o and just leave them home to take care of themselves? I have heard story after story of people in my state losing their children for stunts like that. I am shocked that your state allows such a thing.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• OMG! SIx.. you cannot leave a six year old hom alone. I don't mean to be rude, but, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??????? Please start work later, find a sitter do something but a six year old? The law in my state is 12 and I have a hard time doing that.
    Anonymous

• They never will. We have a push-button lock on our door, so they'll get the code (which we can change as frequently or as seldom as we want) when they actually need it. They won't have the need to be out & about and coming & going on their own for quite a while, plus our town is small enough we don't lock the doors most of the time (we just started locking them more often mainly so "relatives" can't get in while we're out & about). We'll always have a pushbutton, so we never have to worry about spare keys getting lost. One of the joys of having a locksmith for a father ;). I grew up with a pushbutton lock and it's niiiiiiiice.
    Anonymous