trouble with supervised visitation

help! my ex has supervised visitations with my 8 and 5 yr old. the only times that are available with the agency are tues or thursdays and my son has hockey on both of those days. they dont seem to care that he misses something that is very important to him. the ex hasnt seem them since april because he didnt want someone in my family to do the supervision while we were on a waiting list. he hasnt paid me anything in months and i have recently been laid off. i dont have the money to take them 40 miles one way once a week. the agency is also in a very bad part of town. im filing for bankruptcy in january and i just dont have it. any suggestions? i dont want to get in trouble for not taking them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would call your court contact person (caseworker or whoever it is in your area that works with you) and talk to them about it. You shouldn't have to drive them that far if it would cause excessive hardship on your financial situation. There should be other places that do supervised visitation - maybe somewhere closer to you.
    Elizabeth4980

Answer by Elizabeth4980 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• okay, you're not going to like this but they (and the court) is not going to care about hockey practice, the thought is that parenting time is more important in the end than hockey.
    The money .. there you might have a case, but that's a maybe and a far strech. Bad part of town or not it is a supervised visititation facilities approved by the courts so therefor they consider it safe. I can understand why your ex would not be comfortable with someone in YOUR family to do the supervison , how would you like someone in HIS family to supervise and/or critique you skills as a parent. In general its better to have an outside party do this.
    You may have to suck it up for a bit ... not that I agreee with that, the rest I can see where the courts are coming from but putting a financial burden on the CP to facilitate visits when NCP is not contributing is IMO unfair. BUT... it is what it is right now and you're going to ha
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• (con) you are going to have to balance out risk with money. If you refuse to take them it will most def. not reflect well in court and supervised visits will likely be suspended and unsupervised allow and/or custodial changes and/or fines assessed etc. It depends on the circumstances and most importantly the judge.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2009