You have to be baptized to be a Christian???

I have never heard this before. I think it's a load of crock myself ...but i'm not Christians so if i am wrong please correct me.

I always thought that a Christian was anyone who confessed in their heart and with their lips that Jesus is their savior and the son of God.
I always thought baptism was a physical symbolic representation of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus and a further proclamation of devotion to Jesus.
But i was never under the impression that one had to be baptized in order to prove that they had confessed with their lips and their heart.

Am i understanding this correctly? Please fill me in

-Faithful4ver

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• O.K. all three are correct. However, baptism is a sign of obedience and the desire to publicly identify one's self as a Christian. I get concerned for Christians who want to keep their faith secret and who do not seek to obey or follow God with their whole life. Not concerned for their eternal salvation but their relationship with God.

Put it this way, when we marry we have customs that show we are married, we take a ring as a symbol, we often change or hypenate our last name. We are choosing to identify ourselves to the world as married women. These symbols and actions do not change our status, nor do they prove our love for our spouse. But, I wonder about the strength of a relationship when one party doesn't want to acknowledge the existance of the relationship. Now I know this is a weak comparison and there are a plethora of reasons for not wearing a ring or changing your name, but I think the principle is valid.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Ugh, christians dont baptize. isnt that catholics only? The christian people i knew and baptist christian never baptized there young kids. they waited until they where old enough to understand and want to be in that path. They get dunked in a BIG POOL in the church. i saw pics of a ex friend in a church being dunked in a big aquarium tank with her WHOLE clothes on. I think its stupid. and its called Dedication. PS im wiccan
    Anonymous

• each religion is going to have a different answer for this and this answer will change as the years go by
    Anonymous

• Answered at 3:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 by: Anonymous Ugh, christians dont baptize. isnt that catholics only?

Catholics are not the only ones who do this, but it is important to note that Catholic is considered to be the first church or early church.

In the Catholic Church baptisim, confirmation and Holy Eucharist are called sacraments of initiation. Meaning when a person converts to the religion they are initiated with these 3 sacraments. This is the day one is called or officially became Catholic. As for Christian that is going to be an entirely different story as many Catholic converts have already been baptised so their conversion is not into Christianity but into the Catholic Church.
    Anonymous

• Anon 4:08, It's not only Catholics who baptize... I'm athiest, but my husband was raised Greek Orthodox Christian, and in their church you have to be baptized to receive communion or be married in the church. We had a JP wedding, and we plan on having another wedding in the Greek church, and I have to be baptized first because I wasn't as a child. That's the Greek church though, other christian churches might be different.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• These 3 sacraments are are called the sacraments of initiation because they are the three sacraments to be received by a person whereby their relationship and connection to the Church is fully established. One is fully initiated into the faith community by receiving all three of these sacraments. (this answer is taken directly from the Catholic Answer Book )

Now mind you this is applied to the Catholic religion (although some other religion may agree with this statement) but to be a full established member of the CATHOLIC church you must receive these sacraments. From my understanding in the early years of the church it was a much longer process than the 9 or so months required now days.
    Anonymous

• Many Christian churches baptize either as adults or infants (or both, for infants it is usually a Christening not a baptism but it varies) but the definition of Christian is not "one who is baptized" so while some may consider it a prerequisite it is not generally accepted as the defining feature of being a Christian.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• these questions are great for learning more about my faith. I went to another question in the book. Keep in mind I am talking about the Catholic Church and the Catholic Church only. You need to be baptised for salvation. "Jesus states in John:3:5, "I solemnly assure you, no one can enter into God's kingdom without being a begotten of water and spirit." Baptism is a supernatural rebirth during which we become adopted into God's family."

from same book as above.
    Anonymous

• This question was a hot topic from the time of the split and you will get a wide variety of answers. Not one answer is going to be true to everyone.
    Anonymous

-------------------
    Exactly! Baptism by full immersion (Matthew 3:13-16; Mark 1:9-10) is a part of the great commission (Matthew 28:19),and is an outward sign of acceptance of the faith and Christ's Lordship (Colossians 2:12; Romans 6:4; Galatians 3:26,27).
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2009