Can gluten free bread be used in the Eucharist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are some places that make a gluten free communion host. I know of one made by Ener-G foods. My daughter is on a gluten-free diet, but isn't old enough to take communion yet (she will be this year). I will probably talk to our priest about it, to see if he knows about it and would be willing to use it. Some hard-liners won't order them, but many Catholic churches in the US do offer them. I know that a few other Christian denominations offer them as well. I learned all about it from The Gluten-Free Bible.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I don't know about other churches, but the one I attend does offer a gluten-free communion, as did the church I attended before I moved (both Lutheran ELCA)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I don't know about Eucharist. I don't have anything to do with that. But Jehovah's Witnesses are comfortable using gluten free unleavened bread during their memorial of Christ's death meeting if someone who qualifies to eat it cannot eat gluten. It is the bread being unleavened that is of primary importance.
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 10:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My children attend a Catholic school and there are least two children that have celiac's disease and so they have special, extremely low-gluten hosts (level of gluten content of 0.01% ) which is safe enough for consumption by all celiac suffers. If the hosts are really totally free of gluten they would no longer be considered 'bread' and so would be invalid to use for Holy Communion. The church also makes these available for anyone in the parish - usually there is a special Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion that has them and those that need them go to that person to receive Communion. So basically yes. This is a helpful article about the topic.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2009