Which Christian religions, if any, will not allow a person to be cremated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Don't know, never thought of that before, good to research though.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 4:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I can't say that our denomination forbids it, but many individuals within the church are against it. Burning was reserved for things considered to be accursed and abominable (idols,criminals,ect.) References--Genesis 38:24; Exodus 32:20; Leviticus 20:14; Leviticus 21:9; ect.)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Like Lexy said our denomination does not forbid it outwardly but there are members who do for the above reason. Also they feel it goes against nature. Or whatever else they can come up with. I plan on being crematated and so does my husband. It's cheaper I am not taking up space on a peace of land plus God said for us to forget about the dead. So my ashes can be spread or thrown out and that be it with my ashes. I feel that cemetery plots could be put to much better use them burying the dead in pricey coffins. We could use it for farm land or a park. Much better then letting dead bodies rot beneath the earth in it. If you are turned into ashes then it's better for the environment too imo.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• God said for us to forget about the dead

where?
    Anonymous

• Matthew 8:21-23 (New American Standard Bible)

21Another of the disciples said to Him, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father."

22But Jesus said to him, "Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead."

23When He got into the boat, His disciples followed Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• wow so does that mean when a person dies we just leave them there and another dead person will bury them?

this is why I don't understand total and full literal reading of the bible. Because unless you all see your father dead and you follow Jesus and let a dead person bury your father you are not following the bible.
    Anonymous

• That doesn't mean we have to "forget about the dead" per se. There's a whole meaning behind that...but I don't think Jesus's point was to forget about the dead.
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2009