What's a good cleaner that will get smoke stains off the walls?

The light switches and part of the plastic around the shower is orange from where the people who owned our home before us smoked in it, and the walls are yellowish looking. We've painted most of them except in our bathroom. It's really bad, where the shower curtain opens you can see half of the wall in the shower is brownish orange and the rest is white. I was looking for soemthing that will remove the stains.Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• paint at this stage is your only help.
    I always said never buy cars and houses of smokers.
    good luck
    Anonymous

• The people that lived in our house before us smoked. We had to wash, prime and repaint all the walls and ceilings. It was the only thing we could do to get rid of the staining.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• KILZ paint will cover it and make it not smell anymore.
    You put KILZ under the paint you want,. I do think though they sell it in colors now.
    I agree you shouldnt buy from smokers. It will cost you more in the end
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• MY HUSBAND SMOKES AND I HATE IT, EVERYPLACE TURNED FROM WHITE TO A YUCK BEIGE ESP. THE KITCHEN,ONLY PLACE I LET HIM SMOKE, BUT I'M GOING TO BE PAINTING IN THE SPING, I'LL TRY THAT KILZ PAINT..I ALSO HEARD THEY HAVE BENJ. MOORE PAINT WITH SOME TYPE OF FABREEZ IN IT?
    Anonymous

• We smoke in our house. I wash the walls and the ceilings monthly with water and soap. No problems getting the stain off but we also use gloss paint for this reason. Otherwise you just have to paint. We are planning to sell our home in a few years and everything will be painted for the new person- I know there are a lot of people that don't smoke and that is just being respectful of the next person.
    Anonymous

• Apartment maintenance crews use KILZ to paint the smoke surfaces before they apply the paint.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Try "fantastic" on the switches and shower walls but with the regular walls yeah you're going to have to paint. The kilz paint is really great for that.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Those switche plate covers are easy to replace and cheap. Just paint the walls.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My uncle, who lived with my Grammy all his life, smokes.
    Every year in the spring my Grammy would wash down all the walls in the house with diluted ammonia and then go back over it all with a rinse.
    Her house was never painted in the 71 years she lived there so the walls and ceilings are now stained a constant sepia tone, which is disgusting.
    If my uncle ever sells the house the new owners will have to wash the walls thoroughly and use that special primer to keep odors and stains from bleeding through before they paint.
    Wall switch covers are easy to replace, but you can easily unscrew them and soak them in a diluted cleaning solution in the sink.....just about anything will work. After they have soaked awhile you can then scrub them by hand.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009