Were you emotionally scarred when you found out Santa wasn't real?

Spin off of the resent Santa question.
I have heard the argument so many times that kids will be hurt and no longer trust their parents when they find out Santa isn't real. I am yet to meet anyone who was scarred by their parents telling them the Santa myth. So I am asking if anyone here was hurt by it. You personally, not a friend or cousin, etc.
The only way I can see a kid being upset over finding out that Santa isn't real is if their parents made a HUGE deal about it. I mean threatening their kids ALL year that they are being bad and Santa is watching. Or putting them down and telling them they aren't getting anything for Christmas because they are naughty. Also making Christmas all about Santa. Taking out the religious part, the part about peace on Earth, the part about giving and sharing, spending time with loved ones and making Christmas only about Santa bringing you presents. Than I can see a kid getting upset.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No .But then Santa was never used as a threat. You mean to say some parents actually do this ? Not fit to have children.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• No i wasnt' scarred.. LOL.. I loved believing in santa.. and when I found out he wasnt real,.. Oh well! I still like to "believe" in santa.. its a wonderful memory of christmas for me! Sometimes I even sign gifts to my husband "Love santa!"
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• No
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• No, I wasn't.. I just appreciated my parents more because I knew they bought everything and gave me great memories.

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• No I wasn't. I found out when I was about 11 or 12. I didn't feel lied to or betrayed by my parents.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I remember very clearly when I found out Santa wasn't real. I was 7 years old and in 2nd grade. I was at my cousin Penny's and in her bedroom she told me Santa wasn't real. I cried and when I got home I asked my mother is my cousin was right.
    It didn't change my life by any means but that was the day I lost my childhood.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I know you do not a friend's opinion on this but I will give it anyway. My friend Frederick was scarred as a child when his mother brought him to see the Sears Santa and it was his DAD. He was four at the time and he says it ruined Christmas for the rest of his life. lol Why his mother thought she could trick him with that one, I don't know. lol
    Also he is a bit of a Drama King, so I wouldn't worry to much about it ruining Christmas for the rest of his life.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't scarred, no. I gradually came to the realization that the myth just wasn't possible, and my dad explained that they told us that story because it's part of the fun and innocence of childhood, and because it was fun for them, and because it meant he got his favorite cookies and milk set out for him at least once a year lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• No. I found out when I was about 6 or so. I remember sneaking out on Christmas eve and overhearing my mom say to my dad that she wishes there really was a Santa Clause to pay for all the presents. I don't remember being disapointed, I just remember knowing this HUGE secret and I held it over my little sister's head for a long time that I knew a big secret that she didn't know. My parents always made Christmas a much more religious holiday, so Santa was already a little side note. He wasn't made out to be a huge deal at our house.
    Janet116 yea unfortunately I know someone who threatens with Santa Clause throughout the year. I feel bad for her kids. You are right, she is not fit to be a parent for many, many more reasons that just that though.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• NO- WE KIND OF FIGURED IT OUT AFTER A CERTAIN AGE, BUT I LOVED THE THOUGHT OF SANTA COMING, AND WATCHING OUT THE WINDOW FOR HIS SLED. ALOT OF PARENTS USE THAT AS A THREAT,,MINE DID-IF WE WERE BAD-THEY TOLD US WE WOULD GET COAL--NEVER HAPPENED, BUT WE WERE GOOD AFTER THAT.. ITS ALL IN FUN FOR KIDS
    Anonymous