How does one have to spend more $$ to get out of debt?

Obama said the U.S. has had to "spend our way out of this recession" with so many people out of work but insisted he was still mindful of a need to confront soaring deficits. More than 7 million Americans have lost their jobs since the recession began two years ago, and the jobless rate stands at 10 percent, statistics Obama called "staggering."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091208/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama_jobs

pvtjokerus

Asked by pvtjokerus at 5:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am sure the Chinese are loving this!!!
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 5:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I sort of believe that, though I am conservative. I think unless businesses get more business, people will continue to lose jobs. So we need to keep buying crap from retail stores, services, restaurants etc until we can get back on our feet. I think we need to take a chance and be fearless.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• AHH...s othats were me and dh have gone wrong. See we have beenworkign to get out of debt for a while now, saving, cutting corners, going without fun things.... looks like we had it all wrong... we should be spending more!!! I mean after all if the goverment is doing it, then it must be right, right?
    Anonymous

• I want to spend but I am finding, that daily groceries are freaken expenseive :( and I can't save shit!
    NOV1999

Answer by NOV1999 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I don't save, but I have confidence that the US will get back on its feet. We have had recessions before, even worse than this one.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I would looooove to be able to spend some money for the fun stuff. But when there is very little money coming in, and you have the mortgage, and the car insurance, and the utilities and that takes all of what you DO get, how in the heck do I spend on something I don't NEED. I'm having a hard time figuring that part of the spending out. And there is nothing at all left to save. Guess you can tell that I didn't go to Harvard, cause this is all over my head.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• exactly the same as Bush said, maybe they are cousins too. But Im sure you didnt care when it was a R in the white house making the stupid decisions.

did you get tired of everyone ignoring you ?
    Anonymous

• How the heck do you expect people to spend money when over 10% of the population is unemployed, many more are underemployed, credit has been tightened, and many are barely hanging on?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

I am not bashing this answer! I am approaching it very nicely and am doing so from the perspective of a small US manufacturer. I just wanted to say this is great in theory and a lot of people think this would work. However, it won't. Businesses selling products or services will not bring our country to recovery when the products they sell aren't MANUFACTURED in the US. The real depth of employment lies in the manufacturing sector. Right now this is very shallow, just pick up any item and see where it was made. Manufacturing must be brought back to the US for a real and lasting recovery.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• It makes sense from a business investment perspective, but what people, including our congress don't comprehend is that the gov does NOT manufacture anything for profit. They TAKE from the profit makers.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2009