Honestly...How much are you spending on your kids for Christmas?

We have two kids (ages 4 and 6). We don't buy things for them (toys) through out the year, except on their birthdays, and even then, it's not much. On Christmas, though is another story. We spend $250-$300 each on them. I keep hearing people tellling us how spoiled they are and that we shouldn't be spending that much. My kids are sooo not spoiled. They are very sppreciative for what they get and they know the "true meaning" of Christmas. (We celebrate Christ's birth). How much do you spend per child and what do you do when people say similar things to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Holidays

• We spend about $100 on each. Plus some for stockings. Merry Christmas!
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 6:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• "My kids are sooo not spoiled. They are very sppreciative for what they get and they know the "true meaning" of Christmas."
    This doesn't help your case, ALL spoiled kids parents think this.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the kid. Our oldest about $150, he is ten. The other two about $75 each, they are three and almost two and have no concept of money. When the little ones are older we will make it more even.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I understand what you're saying...we spend about the same on our kids (and only at Christmas) and it's people that don't know them who say they are spoiled. Anyone who knows my kids knows it isn't true. Ig nore them and celebrate Christmas the way you want. I also disagree with the above post...the people I know who have spoiled kids...know they are spoiled!
    Anonymous

• Years past we spent about $200-$300 on each but this year it was $100 each.
    Anonymous

• My kids are almost 5 and almost 3. So far I've spent about $250 on each and don't really feel that they will be spoiled at all with that, I wish I could do more. The toys are so expensive its absurd. We are cutting back in other ways, DH and I won't exchange this year, and I've also scaled back all the fringe gifts. I want this for my kids, they deserve a magical Christmas. Like I said, my only wish is that I could spend more.
    Anonymous

• We have young kids and I find you don't need to spend much money to get them quite a few gifts. The combined cost for the two of them was about $300, maybe slightly more. That includes stocking stuffers. I actually think we went a bit overboard, but my husband disagrees. Like you, we only tend to buy toys for Christmas and birthdays.

I have a teenage step son though and we tend to spend more on him because as kids get older the things they want are more expensive. We'll spend $250 on him.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• We have spent about 200 and I am spending at least another hundred for her art desk and supplies, she is 3 and a budding artist.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 8:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My ds is 15 mos. old and we didn't go 'overboard' for gifts. We did buy a swing set for $100 but that'll last us atleast a couple of years. We got him 2 gifts (equaling about $40) to put under the tree. Spent about $10 in stocking stuffers. That's it.
    lizpoulette

Answer by lizpoulette at 9:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I spent $35 on my kids together because what we planned to get them was on sale. I had budgeted $50.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2009