who were the people who hung God up? Catholic perspective

that is the question my daughter just asked me. I asked what she means. She was talking about Jesus on the cross. I said the Jews? but after I said that it sounded kind of mean towards an entire group. What would be a more appropriate answers that will stay withing the realm of the Catholic faith? ?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 7:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think its too hard for a 6 year old to understand. The leaders of Jesus time didn't like that so many people started following Jesus they were afraid the people would stop listening to the king and rulers of the time.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• "The bad people who didn't believe in Jesus."
    Anonymous

• It was the Jews but you have to put it in context of the time and place Jesus lived. Jesus was a Jew he lived in a Jewish region of the world and he was a threat to the people in power of his time.  It wasn't until after Jesus died and was raised from the dead that the new religion of Christianity emerged.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I tell my daughter 4, that Jesus died because the gates of heaven were closed and since you have to die to get to them, Jesus died so he could open them again. As far as why, because people thought Jesus was going to be king and he was telling people what they were doing wrong this made them mad. So the king had Jesus put to death. Technically that is who ordered his death by the cross.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• it was actually the romans, and there were two other's that were hung at the same time as him.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• people say the jews did because it's a good reason to chastize them and single them out as a lesser race. as in any christian formed religion would "blame" the jews for jesus' demise.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Pontius Pilate (pronounced /ˈpÉ’ntʃəs ˈpaɪlÉ™t/; Latin: Pilatus, Greek: Πόντιος Πιλᾶτος) was the Prefect (governor) of the Roman province of Judaea from AD 26–36.[1][2] Typically referenced as the fifth Procurator of Judea, he is best known as the judge at Jesus' trial and the man who authorized his crucifixion.
    Anonymous

• From a non catholic perspective. It was the Roman soldiers that actually put up the cross and nailed Jesus to it but it was the Jews that wanted Jesus to be crucified.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I would like to give her an answer in the Catholic perspective. Thanks to the moms who answered my question on how to explain to my daughter. Ryansmom, I like your response but she is only 6. do you think that is too much for her to comprehend?
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• From a purly historical perspective both Jews and Gentiles had a part in Jesus death. The nation of Isreal was in control of the Romans. Therefor they could only take Jesus to the Roman governor and accuse Jesus, they did not have the authority to crucify him. So this whole blaming the Jew's for Jesus death is inaccurate.

If you want to tell her from a spiritual perspective you simply tell her that Jesus died to forgive our sins.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2009