Christmas gifts for teachers, any ideas?

What are you getting for your kid's teachers?

Lavander

Asked by Lavander at 7:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in

• Gift card to Target, Starbucks, Walmart, or Boarders Bookstores. My sister is a teacher and gets at least 15 mugs a year from kids. She said the gift card it the best gift because she can use it to buy whatever she needs for the classroom that isn't in the schools budget.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I got a couple of sets of these for teachers and neighbors. This set is sold out now, but maybe something similar? http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.tpl.csweb.cm_scid.cswb.item.H15894

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Even if its a girl a candle is always great ! but my sister is a teacher and she does love gift cards! just make sure if you do starbucks or something they drink coffee because my sister gets those alot and she doesnt drink coffee.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• thanks! what do you think of wine or champagne?
    Lavander

Answer by Lavander at 8:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Don't do wine or champagne because they aren't allowed on school campuses.

I always like getting school supplies like nice gel pens and post it notes. A cute Christmas ornament is always nice. You can write your child's name and the year on the back. Gift cards are always a hit. The best thing is a really a heart felt note telling the teacher how much you appreciate her.

Nathskitten is right about the mugs. I got 12 mugs one year. It could drink coffee out of a different mug every morning for months if I wanted to.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• As a longtime teacher, I can tell you NOT to get things that say teacher, coffee mugs or ornaments (unless the child makes the ornament). I like things the kids make, homebaked goodies, gift cards to Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, etc. The best gift I got was a cut out of the child's hand that they colored and glued on a picture of her. That was 3 years ago and I still hand that ornament on my tree. Even a letter written by the child would be awesome. Hand lotions are good too, I wash my hands a million times a day and my hands get really dry. I have even recieved a bunch of holiday wildflowers tied with a ribbon.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Ugh, if I get one more stupid ornament. It makes me feel so guilty though. : P
    Anonymous

• I second the office supply idea, because many of us spend our own money on those things. What about packs of Thank you notes (I usually get those for bridal showers), or stickers to use for kid's papers? Both of those things are cheap when given for gifts but expensive when you buy them yourselves all year. Gift cards are great too- I would love them for breakfast places, because I always end up running out of time in the morning. I just got an email the other day from a parent about their kid that made my whole week, and it was the best gift I could ever get!!!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• A gift to Office Depot or Staples is always good, allows the teacher to get supplies they need for the classroom... Target is good too, but at most office supply stores they offer discounts to teachers (and other school employees).
    J1nx

Answer by J1nx at 1:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2009