My nephew can't seem to get full just from nursing so my sister wants to start giving him cereal, the only problem is he won't take a bottle....did anyone have a prob with there baby taking a bottle, if u did what kind of bottle would u suggest???

lilmomma11

Asked by lilmomma11 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i startedceteals at 4 mo, spoon feed him
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• how old is the baby?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• according to her profile 19 months old
    Anonymous

• Well how old is the baby? He may just need more milk. Their appetites do increase. And IF she must give him cereal she should spoon feed it mixed with breastmilk. Feeding cereal through a bottle isn't recommended for several reasons.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I agree don't do cereal in a bottle teach the kid to eat. And breastfeeding will not sustain a child for forever, my kids were exclusively bfed until 6 months then we started cereal and jar food. Still breast feed until they were over 18 months. I hope that helped. GL

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• What makes her think that? If he's just eating frequently, it's a growth spurt and NORMAL. You shouldn't start solids before 6 months, you should start something naturally healthy (not those crappy constipating cereals), and you can NOT feed it in a bottle. If he's under 6 months, not sitting up on his own, doesn't have any teeth, and still has the tongue pushing reflex, then he's too young. If he's having enough wet/poopy diapers, there's no need to give him anything but breast milk. Tell her to check out Breastfeeding Moms.

jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Since it is your nephew then if he is at least 4 month then you can start with rice cereal and see if he can digest it. Mine couldn't until 6 months. Skip the bottle more hassle then it is worth. My oldest nursed 40 min each hour 14 hours of the day for 3 months, my youngest nursed every 3 hours round the clock for 3 months. So go with the flow and feed the child as much and as often as the child needs. If he is old enough then start teaching him to eat. I know I was thrilled when my oldest was able to eat at 6 months, we both needed the break. GL, I hope that you sister figures out something that helps.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I don't understand why you're giving a bottle.. If the baby is under 6 months old solids really aren't the best plan anyway.. And "not seeming to get full" is probably a growth spurt - cluster nursing - and her supply is going to suffer if she supplements with solids. If over 6 months just use a spoon!
    Anonymous

• A baby under 6 months shouldn't have solids especially cereal which is empty calories and tastes bad. Babies go through growth spurts and are meant to eat a lot. BF babies need to suck a lot to build supply; it is normal. spurts happen periodically around 1 week, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months etc.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• my baby only gets a bottle when i work and i pump if i miss a feed. we use the adiri but would have tried the breast flow. be wary of short nipples and never use the bottle to replace feeds unless absolutly necessary. babies know what to do to get enough. let him nurse as much as he likes.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2009