How soon should I start "training" my breast for breastfeeding?

A few people have told me that it's good to start training your breast while pregnant to get your breast ready and to help produce more milk once the baby arrives. All the advice I've heard has been from women who haven't actually breastfed themselves. So I'm wondering if it's a good idea to "train" the breasts - and if so, when?!

NicoleDionne

Asked by NicoleDionne at 7:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There's nothing to do before hand except to educate yourself on breastfeeding. Take a class. Attend a LLL meeting. Talk to a few moms who have breastfed.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Nope, they aren't athletes! They don't need to be "trained". Leave them be, and when baby gets here, the eating will be all the practice your boobs need. :)
    Mama2Becks

Answer by Mama2Becks at 7:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I breastfed almost too successfully for 13 months until I got pregnant and wanted to stop. I never trained my boobs. They don't need any training. Nature just makes it happen as soon as that baby is in need of you. Relax those boobs...and yourself until your baby comes. ;)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I havent had my baby to breastfeed yet but about a week ago a nurse did tell me its good to start tugging, stimulating, rubbing your nipples. To get them to harden or calous before the baby... If not the baby will do it anyway but it way be much more comfortable to do it on your own and have time to get used to it insted of just jumping into full time breastfeeding
    Anonymous

• You start when the baby is born. Be very careful with what you listen to about breastfeeding as there are a lot of myths going around it. ESPECIALLY from non-breastfeeders. Join Breastfeeding Moms, find your local La Leche League, read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding,

jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Your baby will "train" your breast. Just keep eating well and drink plenty of hydrating fluids. I breastfeed two kids, no prep work necessary, your body is made to do this. So as the previous responder said take a breastfeeding class, go to the La Leche League meeting, if there is a birthing class take that to. Information is power and will help prepare you for your little one. Also the book What to Expect When Expecting is a good resource as well. Congratulations, you world will never be the same.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• take a breastfeeding class, find a nearby lactation consultant, and read up on kellymom. There's a lot to know about breastfeeding and you're way better off if you're prepared and educated. The answers section is open to any and everyone. Stick to women who know what they're talking about if you want trustworthy advice =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• What To Expect When You're Expecting is fine, but never go that crap book What To Expect the First Year. I'd recommend The Baby Book by Dr. Sears.
    Anonymous

• I havent had my baby to breastfeed yet but about a week ago a nurse did tell me its good to start tugging, stimulating, rubbing your nipples. To get them to harden or calous before the baby...

Oh that hurts just thinking of it! You could do some damage or even put yourself into labor. At the very least, it would not be comfortable or necessary.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• i agree that i wouldn't do anything physically to prepare but read a good book like mentioned above, like the womanly art of breastfeeding just so you know some bfing myths and facts. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2009