Do you think children can sense our nerves?

I was super upset this morning and I'm still high strung. My 13 month old dd seems to be "responding" by being incredibly cranky, clingy, and high strung herself. She's always calm with my husband who it laid back anyway, but never that way with me.
So is she sensing all this and being a mirror reflection?

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 7:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes. I have always known this to be true but I am very aware of when I am in a bad mood how my son responds by also matching me...and my response it to be even more frustrated...and then he also gets more upset - the endless cycle. So now I try to get a grip and just hold him when I am getting worked up, smile, and say, "want a do over?" He laughs and so do I. I wish we could always have a do over on most things.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Of course they can...as young as the first few months. your the childs mom so they have a connection with you, so that bond is so strong that they can tell when your tense, and so on. I am not saying dont do this in front of you child because i am sure we are all stressed out! But try to breath, easier said than done lol..but go in another room and scream in to you pillow or go out on to the porch and breath. Your child knows when your upset and sometimes they start to act upset because of it. But this is normal so dont worry just try and think of ways to lesson the stress.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely, I do!
    Anonymous

• Yes, they respond to our energy

Answer by admckenzie at 10:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Yes, I think they do. When I drink an occasional wine cooler at home, my two year old acts funny, as if she has had some.
    Anonymous

• heck Yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Yes they can ....my little girl can always tell when me and my husband are fighting ......and we have some bad fights...not hitting but yelling and screaming and I feel soo bad that we do it because I know it hurts her really bad and will make her prolly hate me in the future I hope to change this soon as I can and have the things to do so...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• yes you are right when things go wrong for me my kids decide to make things worse to wind me up furthur.
    niceandspice

Answer by niceandspice at 3:41 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• They can. I know when I'm stressed or frustrated, the twins tend to get really cranky and clingy.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 6:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• yes... can't you? Like if your SO is annoyed or angry and he doesn't tell you... you know... Some people are more sensitive to it then others but most people can catch on to the emotions of the peopel around them, even if that person is trying to hide it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009